Some help with cover songs

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by StoutXXX, Sep 26, 2005.

1. I am trying out for a band and we are all all getting aqquinted with a set of covers first. Songs are Tools stinkfist, laterlaus, perfect circles 3 libras, dreamtheaters panic attack and a zepplin song. I can adjust right hand technique and use a fretless to pull of alot of sounds but are there some must have sounds effect wise to go with the first few covers? Thanks in advance.
  2. a distortion of some sort, maybe a rat?
  3. i was thinking octavers, flangers, delays and stuff. I just am not sure whats the key or base line effects it might need for the correct sounds. The stuff I have at my disposal are the DL4, bass wah, muff's, chorus, digitech guitar whammy, fretted and frettless basses. I guess I got alot of the stuff i need but whats the mix for some of those crazy clean tones found in these songs.
  4. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I'd say with what you have, set something up like, whammy into muff into wah into chorus in to dl4 and then you should most likely be set alot of these songs you could use a sansamp bass di, especially for the led zep and apc stuff, for the tool stuff you need quite a clanky tone, so turn the tone up on the big muff if you are going to use this, you might find you want to get a better fuzz but it'll proably do the job for the time being.

Hope this helps
  5. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    For "Lateralus," you're gonna need a Whammy. You can do some awesome jumping between octaves.
  6. dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    My band does Stinkfist, which I use a light flange

Sober, which I use a chorus ...

both of these effects come out of an older ART Multiverb rackmount ....

in addition I use a Digitech Bad Monkey and a Digitech BSW and thats pretty much it ... we cover everything from Tool to KC & The sunshine Band!!!