1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Some help with my first bass purchase?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CrzyDrunknMunky, Jan 26, 2012.

1. CrzyDrunknMunky

CrzyDrunknMunky

Jan 26, 2012
    I've begun contemplating on what my first bass is going to be. If you all don't mind answering Are there any recommended basses inthe 400 500 area?

And would I save much if I decided to buy a cheaper bass and swap out the bridge and pickups (and whatever else)?

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Here are a few links you may want to check out:
    First bass advice
    Strings: Flats or Rounds?
    First amp advice
    Upgrade bass/amp first?

There are also many, many other TB threads on this topic for you to check out.

Whatever bass you get, have a pro set it up for you. All the things that make it easier to play will be adjusted.

As far as modding it, I suggest spending your time learning to play it first. Maybe get a headphone amplifier to start with.

Check out my >500 link below for more info.

Good luck.

3. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    If you want to buy new: Squire CV Jazz bass. Low cost, high quality, very tonally versatile. Perfect first bass IMO. There's always a chance you will get a dog though, I suggest playing it before buying. Otherwise I would go to local pawn shops and play their used gear until I find something good.

4. Basso54

Basso54

Jul 22, 2003
    Dalhart, TX
    Check my signature. Got a nice P-bass calling your name.