Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

some help with the Schecter Studio 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SlavaF, Aug 30, 2005.

1. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Because my Michael Kelly fretless acoustic has some pretty serious problems, and is basically un-fixable, the nice folks at Mother's Music are letting me exchange it for another bass. And I thought I'd just get another MK, but then I found out that Mother's is a Schecter dealer, and now I want a Studio 5. The price is reasonable (about $1000 Canadian), but I've never seen or played one.

How is the sound?
    Is the EQ flexible?
    How's the playability, does it have a reasonably fast neck?
    Is it well constructed?

And finally how's the weight? I'd like to get something that's lighter than my Cirrus 6, which is 9.5 pounds. I've got some shoulder problem, so the lighter the better.

I would have to lay down a $100 deposit for them to order it in, so I want to be sure I'm not wasting that money. :)

2. redwood

redwood

Oct 3, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    I've got good and bad news:
    The good news is that the tone, construction and feel of my Schecter Studio 5 is great. The matte finish doesn't seem very durable however. My thumb has already worn through just above both pickups.
    The bad news is that it isn't very light. 10+ lbs I believe. Mahogany body adds warmth and weight.

Overall, I really love the bass. The only down side is that I have been playing a bit more aggressive material lately, and I feel the Schecter, with stock EMG HZ's is better suited for a smoother sound.

3. mlu

mlu

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    I am not too fimiliar with the Studio bass. I have how ever own a custom 4, and that thing is sweet for its range. It is one of the lightest basses i have played. (but i guess playing warwicks all, any other bass seems light :p ) It sounds sweet. I would assume that all the stillettos would be similiar in alot of aspects. Though i think that the custom is the only bolt-on. Whcih makes a different in weight. I kno that they arnt past the 10 pound range even if it is a 5string.

4. WayneP

WayneP

Oct 11, 2004
    Katy, Texas
    [font=comic sans ms,verdana,arial]There are several favorable reviews of the Schecters in our Gear Reviews section.

I recently did a comparison of my Studio 5 to my custom hand-made 4-string that you can see here.

Basically I’m very impressed with mine. It’s heavier than my 4-string, but it’s well balanced, so I really don’t notice it until I put the 4-string back on. But I’m afraid the weight will be a deal breaker in your situation. A shame. :(

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt
    [/font]

5. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    that's a shame... but I suppose I'm not looking for another smooth sounding bass - I want something that can kind of "do it all", and plus I've never really liked EMG's that much

so I'll keep looking :)

6. Aerolithe

Aerolithe

Jan 23, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    I've got a Schecter C4, and while I'm not too experienced in stuff like this, it seems to have very versatile tone, plays great, and its pretty light too. I bought it used for $350 + case and strings and I think it was a great deal.