Some Help?

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by Vriko, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Vriko

Vriko Guest

Jul 6, 2004
    Under Your Sink
    I just bought a 4 string Premier bass from a guy i go to school with. Its cool, I play on it every day but it really sucks that I dont have an amp or any other gear. I dont even have a strap for it yet.

So here I am, clueless beyond any comparable mesure on what I should get. For the most part I'm pretty sure all I need right now is a practice amp. I just started so I dont plan on playing anywere public yet.

I only have about $300 to spend on an amp and any other gear I might need. Please give me an idea on what I should be looking for.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    For 3 bills you should be able to get whatever you need. Practice amps run pretty cheap. You might want to consider going at least 60 watts, it costs more, but you could play a smaller setting and still be audible.
  3. My suggestion would be to get a small practice amp (something like a crate or peavy microbass amp or maybe an SWR-8-inch - can't remember what it's called). I think you should be able to find one for about $100 american. Then, get a strap, of course (probably $15), a few picks, a guitar cord (probably $5-$15). Also, I'd suggest getting a guitar tuner (it's a box that you'll plug into and be able to easily tune your bass), probably another $30 or so. All said, you're looking at about $200ish and will be set for learning to play the bass.
  4. Vriko

Vriko Guest

Jul 6, 2004
    Under Your Sink
    sweet, thanks for your help!