Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

some housecleanin' round here

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, May 13, 2001.

1. Well, this is a simple copy n paste job of what yawnsie posted in amps. i edited it to my liking, so it fits the effects section. happy reading the same thing again except for a few differences. :)

Obviously, these complement the forum rules, which can be found at http://www.talkbass.com/forumrules.php. They're also mostly specific to the Effects forum, but I'm sure that the majority of them will apply to the other forums. Anyway, here we go...

Be careful where you're posting - Not really a problem in this forum, but try and be sure that when you start a thread, it belongs in the correct forum. It's pretty hard to get mixed up, but just in case... Effects specifically pertains to effects(duh! :p ) - i.e. stomp boxes, multi effects units, rack units, etc. When it doubt, send it to Miscellaneous and let Big Wheel deal with it.

Help others to help you - One thing that a few people have mentioned is that often, people will ask very generic questions, like "What pedal has good distortion?", without giving anyone any idea of what their current set up is. Without this sort of information, people will either ignore the question, or may give you useless device. (i.e. telling a 15 year old to get a Switchblade or Moogerfooger, or a pro of 30 years to go and get a $20 dano pedal). Try and give people as much relevant information as you can in the original post or, better yet, fill in your profile. It's not too much of an effort, really...

Edit - Try to make your thread title as informative as possible, too. Unlike me, most people don't bother to read every thread here, and are unlikely to bother with one called "I like Pedals" or "Help!". Try to give people an idea of what they'll be reading should they click on your thread.

Everybody has a right to their opinion. - I know there hasn't been any real flame wars over here, but I intend to keep it that way.

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "My pedal is better than yours so neh!"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
    "I think my pedal is better than your pedal cause your pedal doesnt have [something listed here] and it never has [problem listed here]."

Which one of those do you think will get flamed the most? Now, I don't like people who try to force their opinions on everyone - their comments rarely do anything except enrage others, and are mostly childish attempts to gain attention, rather than legitimate contributions to a discussion. I won't tolerate anything like that, and that sort of crap will be deleted without warning, until you learn to phrase your opinions better. You have been warned.

(On a similar note, don't take people's opinions as gospel. Like most things, effects are a matter of taste. By all means, ask the esteemed posters here for advice, but ultimately you've got to decide for yourself what you want from an effect.)

TRY 2 RITE AS CLERLY AS POSS CUS ITS HARD 2 UNDRSTND YR PSTS IF U DONT - You're not in a chatroom or writing a message on a mobile phone. Please, try to make the effort to make your posts as clear to read as you possibly can. I realize that not everybody here speaks English as their first language, which is fair enough, but there really is no excuse for everyone else writing sloppily. Spend the extra minute re-reading what you've typed, and the chances of a favorable reply will increase. If people can't understand your post, they're not going to reply. Except to cuss your grammar.

Oh, and Lizardking is right. Don't write in all caps. IT CAN BE VERY ANNOYING.

Use the search function! - Before starting a new thread, use the search facility available at the top of the page, (or here - http://www.talkbass.com/forum/search.php) to ensure your question hasn't already been answered six times before. As well as ensuring that you won't have any irritable people pointing you in this direction, you'll hopefully have the answers to your question straight away, without having to wait for people to reply to your thread.

Try to keep the place tidy yourself! - Just a minor thing, this. If you post twice by mistake, go back and delete one of your posts - don't post "Oops! Sorry for posting twice!". These sort of things take up precious, precious bandwidth. Also, if you start a thread, and no-one replies to it within half an hour or so, please don't start posting crap like "HELLO?" or "ANYONE???" - patience is a virture, young man (or woman).

That's about it, just one more...

Don't boast if you happen to attend Berklee. - People won't think any better of you. :p

I think that just about covers everything. You know the score - if you're not happy with anything, let me know. And happy posting!

also added by JR -

Lately I've seen dozens and dozens of "What distortion overdrive should i get?" or "Is this distortion/overdrive good?" stuff like that. This gets VERY annoying. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION. I cant emphasize that enough. Example: in the past few days, there are about 3 threads concerning the Phat-hed pedal. One thread is enough! If the question you have hasnt been answered already then post away, but most likely if your questions concerns distortion, it most likely has been answered before. From now on if i see the same question posted that have been posted in relativly the same time, im going to close the thread. if it gets bad enough, ill start deleting. i dont mean to sound bossy or controlling or nothin like that, just i think most here can agree about 1/3 of the stuff posted here in the past few weeks have been distortion related. Maybe even more.

i havent told yawnsie i copied and pasted this and edited it to my liking yet, hope he doesnt mind. :)

EDIT - Happy, Angus? :p (I bet i didn't get all the errors though :) )

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hey man, just a little heads up, if you are going to post a big thing that has sections about grammar, please use correct grammar, spelling, and conventions yourself. If I were you, I'd go back through that again, and touch up the numerous errors. It will really help you to get taken seriously. Feel free to delete this post when done, however. :D

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    That should be a colon ( : ) after "heads up", not a comma.

Some people.

4. yeah i was in a rush when posting it, ill skim through it later when i get around to it.