Some Humans Suck

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I was driving through a lovely (not) little town nearby called "Union City" here in PA, Known for it's vast collection of Rednecks and Meth heads... anyhoo, I saw this dog that was chained up to the front door, with about 5 feet of leash, way below freezing, covered with mud (had clearly been outside for a long time), without enough room to really do anything. Nothing to keep this dog amused other than passing cars. But this isn't a rare thing, it's quite common. Why the hell do people who don't care about dogs own dogs? Or any pets for that matter.

Aside from the fact that outdoors, without shelter is inhumane, and a dog can actually freeze to death, they are social (pack) animals. If you seperate them from any kind of family, dog or otherwise, it's horrible. One time at a party (mind you, I don't drink) just to make a point to people who were drunk, I sat out in the snow/rain for ten solid minutes with my paws in the snow (and my friend videotaped it for some reason) and I would like to confirm reports that it does in fact suck.

I'm not going to even get into animal abuse in the physical sense. I've heard some stories that honestly haunt me, and make me sick to even think about it, and it's an enraged sick. If I ever saw anyone beating their dog, I would kill them, period. I just like dogs more than people I guess, but then again if I saw someone beating someone who clearly didn't deserve the beating they were getting, I might do something similar.

But what the hell... why isn't their laws against this? We've got all these animal rights people who are crazier than I am... why are people still doing this?
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    A friend of mine stole a dog from a situation like this. It really is sad that people get animals, when they cannot take care of them. Just like children. Why have them if you aren't going to take care of them.
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah... I'm probably going to start doing that...

One a side note, I'm probably going to get shot one of these days.
  4. I'm like that with people and parrots. Parrots > people.
  5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    There are some very strict laws against anmal abuse. I don't know how it is out in PA, but here in California, someone just got ten years for torturing a dog. It was a particularly vicious case, and this person had a long history of abusing both animals and people, but still, ten years.
  6. It seems humans sometimes believe they are the top of the food chain, that we are the top **** among the creatures that inhabit the earth. In many ways we are but that doesn't make hurting other creatures right, it's especially bad when it's done for pleasure.
  7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Thought you were leaving. :p :rollno:

Matt, it is (or at least was) a PA law that any animal kept outside must have shelter which is defined as a structure enclosed on three sides with a roof that they must be able to easily get in and out of and I believe stand up in.

Call the Humane Society or local animal control center.
  8. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    personality tests for potential animal owners and heck , while were at it , drivers .
  9. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Report this person or any other person that would do anything like this to the authorities and let them handle it. Laws against animal abuse, for which this clearly is, are almost universal in most communities in the US.
  10. IIRC animal abuse is really serious offense in PA as well. But if I were you, I'd rescue the dog and then slash his tires :mad: . One of our dogs was rescued that way by a family friend. We took her in and she lived another decade with us.
  11. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    My friend found a dog tied up to a tree with a note on it... it said "Take me home or the Vet will kill me"

So he took it home. Its a fun little dog, but if you start messing around (I slapped this guy) then the dog freaks out and starts barking... I assume it came from an abusive family.
  12. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    +1 Exactly the way I feel. I really do care more about animals being hurt then humans.
  13. The way I see it is, animals don't generally go killing each other for no reason, or having wars. Humans, on the other hand, do.
  14. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    You can't hug your children with nuclear arms :p
  15. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    Good that he got 10 years. Invariably, serial killers begin by torturing and/o killing animals. This is a fact. Read any of John Douglas' books. Anyone that has the capacity to inflict such cruelty on another stient being does not deserve to to inhabit this earth, let alone live free in a free society, IMO.
  16. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I hate dogs and I'm allergic to them, but I still would NEVER do that.

17. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    I love my dog, but that said, we should all mind our own business. It's all good and well to say that it's wrong for someone to chain their dog up in the front yard, but how is it right to steal that person's dog and slash their tires? If a person tried inflicting justice on me, they would soon find themselves looking down the barrel of an AR15 ;)
  18. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yuk yuk. :D

Well, that depends on what you're doing.

If you're torturing your dog, then someday someone (most likely the cops) will plant some C-4 in your nest, and then your AR-15 won't matter, will it? :)

I hear your point though. Individuals taking justice into their own hands, the "vigilante" thing, has some serious ethical problems.

But, that doesn't mean we get to torture our dogs either.

"Society" has mechanisms for that kind of thing, and it makes statements about that kind of thing.

Here in the US, some of those statements are pretty strong.

Self-defense is okay. Protecting your dog is okay too.

Going after someone and slashing their tires, is not. That would be "crossing the line", in an ethical sense, as well as a legal sense. :)
  19. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

i am watching that episode right now! the best!
  20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Dead dog or dead tires?