1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Some intonation problems

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TheBassBetween, Jun 25, 2007.

1. TheBassBetween

TheBassBetween

Jun 25, 2005
    Hey everyone,

So my bass (Warwick Corvette Std 5er)'s intonation is a bit out of whack.

I followed the instructions on the bass setup site, and I adjusted the bridge so that the open string and 12th fret are in tune in all strings. Now, the problem is that when we get up to about the 15th-16th fret we start getting quite noticeably out of tune, and it gets worse as we go up, all the way to the 24th fret, which is borderline wrong note.

Does this mean my neck is pretty warped? Is my relief wrong? I've checked my relief with the instructions on the website as well, and the relief is just about perfect. Should I adjust to the intonation so that a different upper register fret is in tune?

2. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    What you want are the 12th fret fretted note and 12th fret harmonic to be the same when the bass is tuned to pitch.

1) tune it up using the 12th fret harmonics
    2) play a string fretted at the 12th fret and watch the tuner
    3) if the tuner says the fretted note is sharp move the saddle away from the neck; if it says the fretted note is flat move the saddle towards the neck
    4) repeat 1-3 until the tuner says that both the fretted note and harmonic at the 12th fret are good
    5) start on your next string using the same sequence

HTH

3. TheBassBetween

TheBassBetween

Jun 25, 2005
    Ahh, alright. I'll do that, thanks.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021