Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some Jazz/Jazz Fusion tabs, semi-easy to semi-hard...

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Obsolex, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I kind of want to start learning some Jazz stuff, and Jazz Fusion stuff. I don't want any super easy stuff, but I would take that over nearly impossible... thanks, oh, band's, or solo artists, songs too...
    thanks-

2. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    Have you looked into any - I think there's a couple of them available, Jaco - "Greatest Jazz Fusion
    Bassist" books???

Check out "Barbary Coast" and "TeenTown"... the book/s have both notation and tab for about a dozen tunes each.

michael s.

3. Must resist...must...not...make...joke...

I'm semi-hard, you can tab me.

ugh, resistance is futile.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well there are a few things you need to know about Jazz which mean you are unlikely to find tabs. Firstly it is all about improvisation - so most bass lines will be improvised from chord charts with chord symbols on them - Phil Smith has a great free site with loads of these on! :)

Secondly Jazz tends to involve other instruments which have no use for tabs - piano, horns etc. If you are going to play in a jazz band you will never see tabs and it's as I said - mostly chord charts or sheet music.

If you just play tabbed lines on bass - then it aint Jazz!! ;)

5. genesis6891

genesis6891

May 29, 2003
    I'm a jazz/ fusion bassist and my sight reading is piss poor, so yup I just improvise round the chords, don't get sucked into tabs! However - if you are doing it to learn songs which have specific lines then go for it!

Try 'Donna Lee' performed by Jaco Pastorius :) Good luck with it, you'll need it!

6. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    But What if he just wanted to learn songs to start out with, not make up his own stuff, say he
    (like me) wanted to find the tab for Return to Forever's "Romantic Warrior", just 'cuz he liked the song, (he didnt specify any specific songs, but its just me point) but it is true that Jazz is improv, I was in a band for 4 years (playing flute) and we would play original stuff (no names)
    to "Spain" or "A Chick From Corea" (a really good power tab from Victor Wooten is out there with this song) Its kind of hard for me 'cuz I am new to the bass, and still need some music theory, (even though I played flute for 8 years!!!, I am lazy) Modes, Scales (on bass I need to learn them)
    and..... thats it.

But good luck, if you can get PowerTab, it will help you learn to read Standard Notation, for the bass, and you can here how the song sounds opposed to having to already know how it sounds, it lets you pick any random song outher and not have to know... this is a hole note, followed by three 6-tuplet runs in 4/4 with a rest at the end, you can just follow along, but if you can already read it will make you lazy(er).

Well I just wrote a bunch of crap know, so I hope all this drabble helps you...

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I would suggest starting out with other types of music/tunes, that are less based on improvisation and virtuosity - which is what characterises Jazz Fusion.

You can't run before you can walk!! ;)

8. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Check out Niacin, I think that'd be right up your alley Obso.

Tabs might be usable for some jazz/fusion tunes, since they involve a lot of ostinatoes (the same line repeated over and over), but as mentioned, tabs aren't going to be helpful in learning walking bass lines because they are usually improvised.

9. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Thanks you guys... But I dunno if I could play Donna Lee by Jaco, lol.