Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some Jazzbo song samples

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jazzbo, Feb 6, 2004.

1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Last year I joined a band called West Grand Boulevard. Decent band, good young talent. They were looking for a band leader and musical director, and wanted to play soul and R&B, so it worked out well.

We played some shows, recorded a demo, blah blah blah, and I decided it wasn't the band for me, so I stepped away.

Anyway, here's a link to the demo:

http://www.sonicgarden.com/sonic-web/artist.cfm?artistid=16289

The mix sucks. It was done by one of the kids in the band. Guitar player. I left before it was mixed down completely, so I didn't have any say in that. There's some halfway decent attempts at bass on it, but nothing great for sure. There are 3 Motown tunes there, and on two of them, you can barely hear the bass it's lost so deep. On a Motown tune! Especially with "What's Going On" where the bass should be so out in front. Oh well, they're kids who never really knew Motown that well. It was a fun band. The other thing being that "What's Going On" is WAY overproduced. The horn player was supposed to come in to do the tracks, but it's not there, so I don't know what happened with him. Maybe he left the group.

My friend left the band when I did, and it almost seems like they completely erased his backup vocals. That's a bummer, as he's a good singer.

A quick word on "You've Really Got a Hold on Me". We had layed down tracks for the three other tunes, and I had stated that I didn't want that tune on the demo. Since we were ahead of schedule, they decided to record it anyway. I was completely screwing around on that track, thinking it would be dumped. But I tell you, I actually kind of enjoy what came of it.

Oh well. Be relentless!

:D

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Absolutely terrible! I can't get them to load :mad:

I tried windows media player, iTunes, quicktime...I tried saving them to disk, opening in new windows. I wanted to hear it too.

3. Hey Bro... "What's Going On". is awesome! Whaddaya mean "you can barely hear the bass"? I cranked up my subwoofer and that bass BOOMS! Thunderous man! I love it. :bassist:

Gotta listen to the other tunes now.

(Later) Just heard "Really Got a Hold..". Good stuff (I did notice a few screw ups). I don't know what you're playing your tunes thru, but you need a good subwoofer system. The bass is thumpin' on both tunes... oh yeah baby.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Finally got them to work.

Wow...amazing playing, in the pocket! great feel! good tone.

wow, I gotta go practice now PHEW!

that was excellent man, I really liked 'em

the only criticism I have is that the mix on a couple of them is kind of...cold...the music is TIGHT, but the sound is kind of thin, I'm wearing wearing some buff headphones too(sony MDR-v600s) but, it's still very good.

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey, thank you all guys for the feedback.

X, I should admit I do have crappy speakers, so it's good to hear that it's in my speakers. "What's Going On" is a favorite of mine. "Really Got a Hold" really got away from me, but boy was I messing around, and yeah, you can hear the screw ups. They kept them in for some reason, (we recorded multiple takes), and I've grown to like them. In some ways, it speaks to what I was hearing, and attempting to get out, at the time.

By the by, I play the Carvin BB75 fretless on those tunes, (except for "Really Got a Hold", which is a Fender Jazz, MIA), so listen for the intonation gauffs.

6. Quite nice tone you got there.

The band sounds good.

One comment,in "I will survive" the bass is kind of low.. :meh:

7. Well, I think it sounds very good! The bass and drums is indeed very tight. I also think it got some motown feel to it....Funk brothers!
    :D

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Nice Jazzbo, very in the pocket, good feel.

I have very good phones and speakers, the bass is there, but it should be a bit higher in the mix. ---They suffer from the typical vocals and keyboards "on 11" syndrome.

edit: listen in mp3, not wma it's better.

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Mine won't load arrrrrrrgggg!

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    If you can't get it to work, and are on a mac(windows media player support on the mac is pretty weak) Use VLC or Mplayer

Both these applications support all the windows based video compression codecs, they are fast, clean, and far superior to WMP.

If you have WMP installed already, then it will automatically load it, IF you uninstall WMP, then it will automatically load VLC or Mplayer.

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Smoooth and tasty. I would love to land an R and B gig someday.

12. I didn't notice the first time around... too busy listening to that killer Motown bass groove Adam had going.... but, in retrospect, I would have liked to hear a little more "power" in the vocals ("What's Going On"). Maybe it was just a mix problem, but hey, tsokay by me... I look (listen) beyond the mix. Once again... GREAT STUFF!