Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some kind of Epiphone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, May 3, 2001.

1. Does anyone know what that big round Epiphone bass is called? It's kind of ugly. So ugly it actually looks cool. I've seen it at Mars before.

Anybody have any idea of what I am talking about?

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Maybe the one you're thinking of is the Ripper? Does it have one pickup in P-Bass territory?

3. Thats the one! Man, I wouldn't mind having one of those just for that crazy look. Ever played one?

4. Oh Man, I almost dialed 911! I thought by some strange idea you were refering to the Jack Casady!

How could I think this? Jack was so upset he drank half a bottle of schnapps. All his notes are slow and slurred. I'd better wait till he sobers up; better yet, what a good time to play the blues!

Mike J.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Never had the chance to play one, no. But whoever was the bass player for SNL around the time of G.E. Smith sometimes used a ripper. Real nice tone.

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Actually, if you dig around, you shouldn't have a hard time finding a real Gibson Ripper. They were well built instruments, and Greg Lake of Emerson, Lake and Palmer used to play one in the seventies.

Will C.:cool:

7. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Jeez guys!!!Ive got one of them big uglys its cool coming this week!!!A real Ripper!Not the Epi.I'll get back when it arrives with a review.Ugly?Nah.Ya think?

8. Mike Dirnt (of Green Day) played a Gibson Ripper pre-Nimrod. It is supposed to have a bright real punchy tone. Mike has also said that when he wasn't playing it he used it for a coffee table :D .

9. 7

Dec 23, 2000
    also i think the guy from faith no more used one (it might have been a gabber tho same body) i dont know how often he used it but im pretty sure he uses it on "we care alot" hes got a pretty good sound there so id say check one out they got like three or four actual gibson models at www.basspalace.com they are helpful there theyll give you all the info you need if your looking to buy one but i would suggest playing one first