Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

some L2000 questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gnome01, Dec 17, 2002.

1. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    Curious to see whether G&L fans generally prefer the old L2000E's or newer ones. I've had and played both. I've fallen in love with some older one's but they always seem to have something wrong with the pickups or electronics. The one I had, the series setting did nothing on the neck pickup, which is a pretty important sound, and couldn't be fixed supposedly. Also, what was the last year for the older style headstock?

2. MoTown

MoTown

Nov 27, 2002
    What do you mean by older 2000's.. Do you mean pre-BBE?

3. I think the last year for the old headstock was '82......................:confused: ...but the 'new' one is better. Ah yes , many eyes have been gouged with it;)

4. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have the "older" 1982 L2000 (old headstock) and I agree that it is a great bass. I also had a 2000 L2000, but I liked the '82 better, even though there was nothing wrong with the newer one.

The older ones have slightly different electronics (the center switch is parallel/single coil, not series/parallel as the new ones have).

You can get replacement parts either from G&L or from Buffalo Brothers guitars (including pickups and electronics) if you find an old one that needs some work. The older style have the skunk stripe neck (like musicman or some fenders) while the eye gouger ones are bi-cut. the Bi-cut ones are supposedly more stable, but I haven't had any problems with my skunk stripe.

Here is the picture of the 2 I have owned. I still own the '82 and plan to keep it forever.

[​IMG]

-KB

5. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I've had a few - my "older" one was an '87 so it wasn't super-old. I prefer the new ones - my current is an '02. Alder body and rosewood board on a #6 neck for me.

KBs '00 that he passed on was my first L2000 - and I wish I'd had the neck shaved instead of thrashing around until I bought my current L2K. Live and learn.

I think "most" people prefer the older ones (that's a completely unscientific gut feeling based on what I've read on the net).

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i own another L2000 previously owned by craigb.

it's a 2000 (the yaer) model and it rocks. tried old ones too but i honestly prefer newer.