some Lightwave pickups observations - more notes from the field.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Oct 20, 2002.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    hull der,

i've been playing around with my new rig and the loaner Lightwave Brubaker.

i've noticed something.

the Lightwave really comes alive with gobs of good power, a decent pre, and a smokin' cabinet.

talk about punch!

this is somewhat akin to my revelation with my old Eden setup.

the WT400 at 250 or so watts going into my 210XTL was not enough to keep the cabs from farting in high volume settings.

as they say, a rule of thumb for proper amp power to cab rating is 1.5 to 2x.

i blamed the whole rig at that point, but i'm sure the 210xlt would have been great with the right head/amp-pre.

so it seems, the Lightwave like a good cabinet really shines with premium gear backing it up.

i've heard a lot of complaints about the Lightwaves lacking punch and only being good for fretless.

consider the rig your playing through before you make your final decision.

also, by now i've played through a number of different LW equipped basses. they all have different character. truly transparent.

if one lightwave bass doesn't do it for ya, another might.

as i said in another thread, i got to play a prototype Lightwave acoustic electric 6 string guitar the LW folks had....WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think the Lightwaves have a long long product life in the instrument industry. especially for acoustic instruments.

pretty exschiting!

as usual, just some thoughts.

2. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i think a lightwave system for upright basses might finally give upright players a good pickup choice :)
  3. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    that's something i've been dreaming of for a while.

the LW folks told me of a guy in europe that retro'd an upright with the Lightwave sys.

heard it was ungodly!