1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Some love for the Shuttle 3.0 (or combos)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Johno Dunn, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    I am considering one of the "little" shuttle combos, to pair with another cab for a modular rig to handle most of everything I do gig wise. I am really interested in the 8" combo. The thought of having a combo that is under 15 lbs. is quite exciting.
    Can any one who has this combo (or the 10") comment on the volume you can get from it? I would pair mine with another cab for any mid sized gigs, and I have PA support for the larger gigs.
    Or just share some love :hyper:for the 3.0 in general. We know every one loves the 6.0, but lets hear it for the "little" brother!

Thanks,
    Johno!

2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I've had a 3.0 1x8 for a couple of weeks. Although pricey, it's the best micro rig I've played, and paired with an Epi UL2-112 it sounds pretty macro and hangs in there with a drummer. Effortless to transport and full-featured. Love it.

3. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    I gotta question the "pricey" quote above... the 3.08T is an awesome 300 watt 'capable' micro amp. By itself I run at rehearsals with my 7-piece horn band and it works great. I also use it on Sunday mornings with my Praise Band, a relatively low-volume group. Now when I slide the 112 neox, or the 118 sub under it I have a loud 300 watt multi-purpose amp. Now the cost of this combo is less than the Mesa Walkabout or the Eden DC112 combo, although it IS only 175 watts at 8 ohms... but it is also only 13 lbs!!!!!! The 300 watts with an extension cab brings it into the multi-purpose rig you mentioned.
    My main comment is remember, it IS an 8" speaker and dont try to make it play like an 810 cab.... too much bass EQ WILL make it fart out, but a solid mid-voiced eq will give a lot of volume and articulation.
    Hope that helps!!!

4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I didn't mean that it isn't worth every penny; it IS. But without the extension cab it's not capable of standing up to a drummer IMO/IME and for many (myself included) it's not as powerful as I like for a gig, so for me it's still a niche combo for practice and smaller stuff. In that sense, she ain't cheap. If I was looking for a "do all" box I'd have gone with the 6.0.

5. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    The cab I want to pair it with is an LDS w/a high xmax 12" and a 5' mid. the whole rig would be under around 55 lbs.

Johno!

6. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    I tried the 300 micros - both speaker sizes and yesterday the 600 with the 2x10 combo. All were very impressive.

I think we all have the ideal of a "grab and go" practice amp that can handle bigger gigs with the another below. I have tried that twice and each time have found myself frustrated - I had the Neox 400 and also a Yamaha - neither really gave me what I wanted. My solution has been head and cab - LM 2 and 1 or 2 bag End 15's. The Shuttles are great and I think the 300 or 600 with a choice cab or two gives the flexibility. Ok, we have to plug in one more cable and carry 2 items but for me, it has been worth it.

The GB cabs are great but I have a friend who pairs a Shuttle and an LM 2 with Berg and Epis for a stellar sound. Small, light, transportable.....

7. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I love my 3.0-10t combo. It performs amazingly well. I use it on its own or with the matching extension STL10t cab:

[​IMG]

With the extension, this rig stands up just fine in a pretty noisy blues band, loud guitarist plus keys, vocals and drums. And bass, of course. A couple of live recordings of the rig are on the frontman's myspace. Check out 'Reconsider Baby' and 'Hoochie Coochie Man':
    http://www.myspace.com/brianjamesmusic

That was recorded on a single mic out in the house. Not the most astonishing playing I've ever done, but a decent example of the Shuttle 3.0 ministack in the real world, I suppose. Bass was in the PA, but it's a small PA, so house sound was sort of a mix of PA and the rig itself. None of us have any problems hearing the rig perfectly for on-stage monitoring. Settings for that recording were pre level at about 12:30, bass flat, slight mid cut at about 1khz, slight treble cut, master around noon. Doing it over again, I think I'd work with the mids more and get a little bit more mids. The 1khz cut was getting rid of a honk that was annoying me with my fretless Stingray 5, though.

This isn't a heavy rock band, obviously. But it's not a coffeehouse acoustic folk group either. The ministack (or either of the 3.0 combos plus a good extension) can handle a gig like this with ease, and with plenty of headroom to spare.

And soundmen absolutely love the DI, by the way.

Anyway, I've loved Genz gear for a little while now, with my NeoPak, GBE600 and Neox112t and Neox212t cabs. But this Shuttle ministack is sort of the last straw that finally convinced me to become an endorser.

Cheers

8. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Liam,

With my Neopak, I usually like the preamp gain around 2 o'clock (sort of thickens it up a bit for me). Without the tube preamp in the 3.0, how do you set it to get a thicker tone?

9. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Hey there,

Sorry I missed this and didn't reply sooner!

Honestly, I find things to be plenty thick by default with the 3.0. I haven't had to try to change anything. I'll try to hook up my NeoPak and crank the tube a bit and see what the tone difference is, and then see if I can get anywhere close with the 3.0. Might be a few days before I get the chance to experiment, though!

Cheers

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I got a 3.0 10T combo last week.

With the 1x10 extension cab.

This rig kills for it's size.

Could not be happier, ( so is my back)

11. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I need to find one in stock locally so I can try it out. "Kills for it's size" doesn't really tell me much. It's sort of like an ant is very strong for it's size. :D

I know what my Neopak sounds like and I also know that I prefer it with a bigger cab than a smaller one. But this 10T could be tuned so that it sounds bigger/deeper than it should and may be fine for what I need.

12. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I do find the 3.0-10t to sound deeper than it should. But I haven't directly A/B'd it with my Neox cabs, or with the NeoPak. I'll try to get to that this weekend ... no promises, as I have a rehearsal and a gig on Saturday, and Easter Sunday. But I'll try.

Cheers

13. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    hey guys ... so in short, for those of you who had tried them out .. does 3.0 8T and 10T differs a whole lot?

i mean i would love 8T's weight, but if the 10T is more versatile in more circumstances, I might want that instead.