1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Some magnets are "weak" in a pickup...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Catanova, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Catanova

Catanova

Apr 7, 2011
    Golden CO
    Bought an 89 Peavey Fury, appeared to be in great condition etc during practice. Played at live volume with it an realized that the "A" string side of the pickup was below par and the volume and punch was not there, very thin. But ONLY the A.

Disassembled the electronics to see whats up. Not my first time by far, unfortunately. Found that all was "intact" but that the hot glue that holds the coil within the pickup cover had broken loose, and the magnets were lower than intended in relation to the pickup cover/and the strings. So I then re-glued the pickup assembly, and made sure it was snug and alighned.

Also checked all the other connections between electrical components to insure they worked. Then checked the polepiece vs string thing to see if pickup proximity was the issue.

After all this, I reassembled the bass and had the same problem:mad:

I have heard about true "vintage" pickups losing their magnetic strength from disuse. I stuck a very strong magnet on each pole of the A section of the pickup and waited about 2 hours before playing again.

The pickup's A section then kicked ASS afterward (yesterday night) but tonight not so much... Anybody have a friendly hint on what I must be missing? Is the pickup wasted, or am I missing something else?

2. basscrab

basscrab

Dec 20, 2012
    I kno this is a very old thread but i just realized i have a p bass pickup with a bad ir weak set of G string magnets. It took awhile to figure out what the problem was. I never assumed it could be the pickup because the D string was fine...almost got rid of the bass after trying different necks and bridges with the same problem...i finally put it in my #1 as i was doing a winter overhaul of my basses...to my surprise, #1 now had the weak G string...sending it off to duncan custom shop in the AM for new mags

Zoobiedood likes this.
  3. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    I'd love to hear what they say they did to it (and your experience when you get it back).

4. basscrab

basscrab

Dec 20, 2012
    Well...i got it back...the SPB-1 that is
    ...from the day i bought it years ago i could NEVER get the G loud enuf or adjust it high enuf...finally got tired of it & was about 2 get rid of the bass, which had every major component replaced 2 try & remedy the situation
    ......except the pickup...which i finally realized had a prob wen i put it in another bass. I never assumed it could b the pup cuz i've never had a prob w these pickups of which i've owned many...anyway...had duncan remagnetize mags...yippeeee !
    Now sūounds like all my others

murphy likes this.
  5. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    Woohoo! Did they confirm there was a problem with it?

6. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    It would make sense if the pickup always had a pole with a bad magnet but I don't see how it would loose any more magnetisim that the others.

I don't see much mentioned about old Fenders and weak magnets.
    My 60' sounds great on all strings; do these old pup's change magnetisim over the years, and do manufacturers of vintage sounding pups use weak magents from the get go to emulate the tone?
    I used to race expensive slot cars 35 years ago.
    The track had a manetizer alhtough the difference between weakish and re-zapped was very small in performance.

7. basscrab

basscrab

Dec 20, 2012
    Dennis @ duncan had been very personable...apparently the G magnets were 15-20% less charged/ less gaussed than the others...they recharged all mags...beautiful sound now !! That's how it came out the box. NEVER had that happen w these b4

Zoobiedood likes this.
  8. basscrab

basscrab

Dec 20, 2012
    & yes..."they" do use weak/degaused mags 2 emulate the aging process
    ...however, many would argue the effect of natural aging on magnets is far less than what "some" manufacturers offer

Jim C likes this.
  9. Thuddy Waters

Thuddy Waters

Mar 20, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ

10. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti