Some mini reviews

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Lately ive been going to my local music store quite often and have played just about every bass there.

Just thought id post some mini reviews of a few in particular.
    All basses were played through a Fender Bassman 100.

-Geddy Lee jazz bass: Fit and finish were great. Picked it up and it felt solid. Slighty neck heavy when sitting down. Decently low action. Plug it in, great vintage vibe. It is much less harsh than other jazzes, to me at least. It has a smoother tone when the neck pickup is used more. Very smooth tone, overall a great bass, no real complaints. Neck felt good, the finish on the neck was very comfortable.

-Spector Rebop 4: Black finish, 4 string, not bad looking. Low action, nice wide string spacing, little wider than im used to. Great tone,aggresive, nice slap tone. Nothing extremely special visually but the sound is great, basic Spector tone. Comfortable neck as well, good tonal variation.

-Warwick Thumb bolt-on 4: Great bass, i lusted after one for nearly 2 years. Very solidly built, comfortable body. Got the warwick neck, yes, but if you like it, it is comfortable. My favorite bass at the shop perhaps, because i wanted one for so long and they dont carry my current infatuation (spector euro neckthrough). Great tone all around, played nicely. Most people know about these basses by now.

-Fender Zone Deluxe (the american one): Looks very nice, weird color stain on neck, orangy ish yellow. Very very low action, and could even go lower, no buzz at all, which surprised me. Strings that were on it were kinda dead though, so the slap tone i wont judge, but the fingertone was nice. Very even all around, i could see it working for any type of music. Good bass, kinda pricey though.

-Fender Precision USA, natural : This bass cost my eye simply because of the natural finish (i think it was ash). Sounded great, just like a p bass should. basically most precisions feel good to me, i like them for grooving. I tend to play speedy little runs and stuff on different basses, not precisions. Precisions sound so good just to groove with , and this one certainly did.

-Ibanez SR3000E : My favorite Ibanez. Wenge/bubinga neck. Looks great, plays great, sounds great. Ibanez does nice with this one. Bartolini pickups. I didnt funk around with the knobs much, so i cant comment on the tonal variation but i loved the tone i was getting. Nice lows, with a unique growl that i havent heard elsewhere. Slapped decently as well. I really liked the neck on this though. It was a little bigger than some of the lower model soundgears, this one was nice. I love the feel of wenge, mmm. This bass was about $699-$799 , i forget which, and wasnt in mint condition, but was alright. I definitely think finding one of these used would be a treat for someone. Its a great bass.

-Ibanez SR900(am, i think) : Neck through, bartolini MK-1 pickups. Had a lighter stain to it on the neck, still a 5 piece neck i believe. This one had very low action, very comfortable. Similiar neck profile to the 3000E but not the wenge/bubinga. Was maple/bubinga. Sounded good although the slap tone was a little weird. The G string sounded dead as if they replaced all the strings but not the G , or it was a bad string or something. Popping it sounded dead as hell. Other than that, good bass for $599.

-Rickenbacker 4003: I used to love this bass. Mmp , great tone, great tone. Not much to say other than that. It isnt the most comfortable bass to play but it sounds great. Slap tone on it can be nice too if you know how to work it. Nice neck, beautiful craftsmanship.

-Warwick Corvette Proline: Feels very good, as all warwicks do. Very solid. Slightly less growly than the thumb, little more warm tone, less bite. Played nicely though, and i think would be more versatile than the thumb.

I played many other basses, basically any Fender you can think of... some more warwicks. But these are the basses i remember. If anyone has a question on a specific Fender or warwick, just ask.
  2. raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    What was your impression, if you played one that is, of the MIM 5 string Jazz Deluxe? I was looking at one, but the place was shop was busy and I could try it out that day. I plan on doing so next week, but was wondering what you thought of it?

3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Overall it was pretty nice for the price. I find the deluxes are usually quite decent. The B string wasnt tremendous though. In most basses in that price range i find that it varies a little from bass to bass. This one was decent enough though that if you put a higher gauge string on it, it would be nice. Overall the bass played and looked great. Ive never been tremendously fond of the MIM jazz bass tone (my first bass was a MIM jazz bass). I find the highs and slap tone to be kind of harsh.