some mods to my MIM P-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, May 27, 2004.

1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I picked up my P-bass from the shop today, after having it set up, restrung and having a '75 pickguard put on it. Plays really nice. Alittle fret buzz with a pick, and I'm working it out. The pickguard is arched in a couple of places, but oh well. Gives me a neat little place to hold a pick so I can change from fingers to pick quicker.

So far, I have
    -installed Basslines QPB-3
    -installed Dunlop Straplocks
    -put on '75 pickguard
    -installed thumbrest

and I plan on:
    -installing chrome pickup cover
    -installing Leo Quan Badass II bridge
    -possibly a Raven Labs PBR-1.

2. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    not exactly the vintage look im going for
  3. Nice rig there dude. I don't know why but I've been gassing for a P-bass. I have never played one though. But the ones I like are the G&L's SB-1, or SB-2's with the Jazz pup near the bridge.
  4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    You may want to look at the Fender Zone Deluxe based on your preferences above. It is a real sleeper. P/J configuration, 18v Preamp, and sweet, sweet sound. Light, but big sound.

5. Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    How you use the thumbrest located in that position?
  6. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Heh. Beats me. But thats where it goes.

7. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I put a duncan basslines vintage p-bass, and flats in mine, hopefully ill be able to put in a new pickguard(dont know what coloer yet), bridge cover, and thumbrest soon.

THats where they used to put thumbrests, whgen people played with their thumb, to use to rest their pinky, i inthk., they odnt really use them now, but you could put the thumbrest wherever you wanted to.
  8. Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    Ahh, Uuh, Mmm... Ok! Is not a functional device? ...I'm too practical with this. Enjoy your lovely bass!
  9. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Looks cool! I've thought about modding up a MIM P-bass as well, esp. a burst one with strung with flats. Though I'd probably prefer to work up a beater maple-board P first, and load it up with DiMarzio pups.

Lemme know if you have any interest in installing a P-bass "ashtray" bridge cover... I've got one sitting around over here that I don't plan in using, would complete your bass' vintage look nicely.
  10. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    Just curious where your pickguard arched at? I installed a Fender black pearl guard on my mim P deluxe, but it sits nice and flat. Wonder why it happened on yours.

I modded mine bass with the blk. pearl guard, Basslines Hot p&j pickups, and first a badass 2, but now a gotoh 201 bridge. I'm pretty happy with the bass at this point! Hope you're enjoying yours.
  11. elgranluis

elgranluis Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    didnt fender stop using the fingerrest on the g string around 73?

12. that's actually a finger rest, back in the day guys used to play with their thumbs, kinda like sting plays a lot of the time.
  13. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have one, and I agree. Nice bass.
  14. Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    U got bad taste man !
    Peavey head with ugly surbursted mexican one.. :spit:
    Hope for it sounds good
  15. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You're nice.
  16. Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004

I think thats a finger rest for players who use their thumb. Not slaping but all down strokes. I play like that a lot but I dont have the little finger rest. Hmm I might get one.
  17. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    1. the head is not mine, but a friends
    2. Peavey makes great stuff
    3. some MIM Fenders are actually good
    4. yes it does sound good, amazing in fact
    5. shut up, and get a life
  18. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Peavey makes some good stuff.. My power amp is peavey :D