1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Some more Aguilar wishful thinking photoshoping (didn't want to OT in DB751 thread)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by renejaime, Mar 26, 2009.

1. renejaime

renejaime

May 25, 2005
    Austin
    K, so I was bored tonight did some practicing wrote a song then came back to Photoshop'ing some wishful thinking for some new Aggie gear...

I mentioned the idea of a light DB type amp in the DB751 thread... then got to thinking about what chassis could they use... let me make a huge

DISCLAIMER - in no way amp I an amp designer I don't know anything about how to properly layout tubes, wiring etc.... I'm presenting a mock up image for an amp that does not exist and will more than likely never exist but again I was bored and this is what came of it.... sorry in advance to Dave if I've pee'ed in your Kool-Aid...

so here is an existing legacy Aguilar item:

the DB659:
    db659.

found this image here on TB guts thread

the DB659 innards:
    AguilarDB659innards.

now for the fun part... I see some empty space in there, I wonder can I squeeze the ICEpower 250asx2 amp in there... (same as in the GB shuttle 6.0 and GK MB2) hmmm....

well it isn't pretty but who knows maybe with somebody that actually knows what they're doing it could make it work (DB500?):

Attached Files:

2. Can I place my order yet?

3. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I like the idea, but I would also like to see what Aguilar could come up with based around the ICE power amp module starting from scratch rather than trying to reverse engineer it into a DB659. The simplest idea (that was already mentioned in the DB751 thread) would be to take the Tone Hammer and merge it with an ICE module in a case the size of an F1/MB2-500.

I imagine the engineers over there could work something up to maintain the tone of the AG series stuff in a micro package. I said AG series because I imagine it would be impossible to get the DB750/DB751 tone out of a micro amp.

4. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I thought you were just going to paste a 751 tone stack on top of the 750 controls. That could be fun! :smug:

5. renejaime

renejaime

May 25, 2005
    Austin
    aye, I brought that up in the 751 thread as well... but as seeing that both these ideas are in the "wishful thinking category" we lets go down that path so what if Aguilar did a:

[​IMG]

Plus

125asx2_250px.

and made an aguilar micro amp... would could happen.

1st off the amp would need to be at a competitive price point compared to the GB shuttle 6.0, GK MB2 and MB F1... so let's assume Aguilar goes with the high road price wise so were talking $799 street this amp could/will eat away at the AG500 sales depending on features added/taken away to the new "aggie micro"

My thoughts of a DB type head with a cost effective power section was to add a DB offering at a lower price point and add another alternative around the 1k-1k+ range... all DB labeled items have been at a much higher price point 2k-3k items while the AG heads are right around 1k-1k+ if the new DB751 is around 2k. the proposed "DB500" is a head for new owners and current "DB750, DB751" owners alike... the DB750 in a rack bag/rack we looking around 50+ lbs to carry... feature wise this is what "I" would hope for in a "DB500" type head...

borrowing Aggie spec style

Specs

Accepts 4, and 8 ohm loads
    Tuner Out with Mute
    Self-Diagnostic Protection Circuit and Thermal Overload Protection Circuit (both with LED Indicators)
    Short Circuit Protection
    Power Output: 500 watts @ 4 ohms and 300 watts @ 8 ohms
    Preamp Section: Two 12AX7s (gain stage and DI)
    Power Section: ??? (ICEpower or something similiar)
    EQ Section: (OBP-3 pre) +/-18dB of cut and boost at 40Hz, +/- 16dB of cut and boost at either 400Hz or 800Hz and +/- 16dB of treble cut and boost at 6.5 kHz
    Deep Switch: Adds 3db of broad-band boost at 30 Hz.
    Bright Switch: A passive RC pre-emphasis circuit at 5-7 kHz.
    Effects Loop: Send pot is push/pull for line or instrument level; return pot is push/pull for parallel or series operation.
    Inputs: One 1/4" input jack with an active/passive switch.
    Outputs: Two Neutrik Speakon speaker outputs, one Jenson XLR balanced output (-32dB pre- and post-EQ) with a ground lift switch, tuner out, headphone out, and one 1/4" jack preamp output.
    Cooling: High quality whisper fan
    Rack Size: 1 or 2 Spaces w/ optional ears
    Weight: 15 lbs or less
    Footswitch: Optional mute activation footswitch available

they could go one step further and make it's footprint dimensions match up with the little jack cab - "drool"

[​IMG]

again I'm not looking to take the jelly out of Dave's donut... more so asking to provide a easy to carry DB head that can cover small/med gigs and rock in the studio as a head or hell even as a DI! hmm that's what I'm talking about.

6. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    You make a good point about a micro head cutting into the AG500 sales. It makes me wonder how much of a sales drop GK saw for its 700RB, or Markbass saw for its... Whatever their non-micro offering is in the 500 watt range.

Regardless, a portable Aguilar rig to go along with my DB750 rig would be outstanding.