Some more Epiphone Casady questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Mar 14, 2004.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I just won one on german eBay.
    I was thinking I would change the tuners to Hipshot ultralights to make the headstock less heavy. Has anyone done this? Will they fit?
    What strings do you prefer on this bass?
    What amp/speakers do you think brings out the best of this amazing instrument?

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I think the holes for the tuners would be to big for hipshot after taking the stock tuner out.
  3. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    That is bad news. :(
    Maybe something could be put between the tuner and the wood in the hole. That might work :meh:

Althogh hipshot probably give a more accurate and easier tune the stock ones arent that heavy and they work fine.
  5. takeout

takeout Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Kansas City area
    Hipshot makes several different models of Ultralights. Send them an email; they can probably make a model recommendation.

I have D'Addario XL's on mine; a lot of people swear by Dean Markley Super Steels on these.

These basses love tube amps. I get a great throaty low end with my JC and Ampeg SVT-II. Since it appears you are in Europe, try to find one of the Trace Elliot V-Series tube amps. I don't think the speaker configuration matters much.
  6. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Congrats on scoring a great bass.

I will 2nd the notion that the tuners on the Casady are too heavy..I have experienced no 'problems" with mine. Yet Hipshot makes several sizes of ultralites, and I do remember someone having installed some on a it can be done.

I had been using TI Jazz Rounds on my Jack, and really liked it. The lighter strings were very easy to pay, and theu simply sang.....
    I have recently started using TI Flats......and man oh man! Tone galore! A really wide range of available tones with these! It's almost like they were made for each other.

And yes, these basses do like tube amps, but great eresults are to be had from SS amps too! And, the Casady bass really comes to lfe when plugged into a SansAmp Bass Driver.

7. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i bidded on the same bass!

glad you bought it!!

you had a smoking deal for sure.

casady is a great sounding bass, my next one.

have fun
  8. The strings I like best on my Casady are Dean Markley Blue Steels. If you want to use flats, try Rotosound 77s. I've never tried the TI flats.
    I use an Ampeg B100R amp, which has a very nice tubish-like old school vibe. A Yamaha NE-1 parametric EQ set to the Deep 8 setting will give you an almost upright-like tone.

The Jackbass is a very underrated instrument.

Mike :)
  9. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks for all your feedback. Didn´t know you where bidding too Barroso. But I won :spit: ;) :D
    I hope to get the bass early next week. Cant hardly wait.
    The one I tried in a store had rounds and I liked the sound of it. But I do have a set of TI flats somewhere.
    I guess I will settle with the Dadarrio (sp?) slowounds on this one as I like them a lot.

TI power bass strings work really well with this bass, thats what i use.