some more pickup questions (since my other one got locked...)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Serac, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Serac

May 29, 2005

I'm gonna get this guitar for the value and friendly beginner price. I'm wondering, are it's pickups good? I heard they tear off easily, but will I have to buy more soon? And if so, are there any good pickups that are under 25$, though i'd be willing to pay up to 50$ on them... and I just want to know how long they should last for someone who would keep it in good condition, and wipe it with a cloth, if that even changes anything at all...
  2. I have to warn you, the Squier Affinity series is the worst that Squier has to offer. It's true that there are some decent basses produced under that label, but you definately want to try out the exact bass you plan to buy, if at all possible, to make sure you get a decent one. Their quality control isn't too great.

What do you mean, "They tear off easily"? You pickups should last as long as the bass itself, unless they have a manufacturing defect. They don't wear out, since they don't have any moving parts.
  3. Serac

May 29, 2005
    Ok good to know, someone said that they break easily, but good to know they’ll last quite a long time. :)
  4. mike1968

mike1968 Guest

Nov 12, 2004
    e'ville Indiana
    I bought my daughter one of these from a local store ,looked at it and didn't really try it much. Big mistake, had neck and fret problems. Ended up selling for a loss and buying a used mexi jazz that I did look at and tried. Look and play before you buy if at all possible ,especially on cheaper low end stuff. Squire has a disclaimer in their warranty about neck and fret problems, in other words you can be left with a pos not covered by warranty.
  5. Serac

May 29, 2005
  6. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    You don't have your profile filled out so we don't know what gear (if any) you own or have owned. If you are considering buying a starter pack I will (no offense) imply that your experience is minimal and that is not a criticism; we all started there at one time.

If you are asking for advice I would suggest that you take the advice that you sought and that is being offered you. When you buy a starter pack you are getting the bottom of the line gear and, while I like Fenders, I will confess that their bottom of the line stuff is of generally poor quality. Other manufacturers make, I think, better starter gear than does Fender. If you want a Fender, buy one of their MIM Fenders and look for a used amp instead of buying one of anybody's starter packs.

Just my opinion.
  7. Serac

May 29, 2005
    Allright, though I do appreciate your advice, I have learned the hard way not to be influenced by one opinion, but still listen to them, and combine them into a slur of different opinions and thoughts, and then think about it by myself, because ultimately the judge is myeself… But thanks for the advice, I’ll be sure to think about it. ;)
  8. Ill look for it, i know Ibanez make a starter pack, and i think everyone will agree with me that it is a hell of alot better than the other one

+ the bass looks cooler (also has a J pickup) and has a wider colour choice i think

- Will
  9. Serac

May 29, 2005
    Well… the instrument looks good, but what about the two amps? Or are they standard, decent stuff?
  10. Not used either of them, they wont sound that good (well they are started amps), but im sure the ibanez ones have a good rep

What i would recommend is the individual bass i pointed out earlier on in the thread:

and this amp:

(altho that seems very pricey to me!!)

you could always use this amp tho, its cheaper (but its a guitar amp), i used my preavey rage 15 watt amp as a bass amp for 2 years before i got my half stack, and it worked fine

could also consider this one
  11. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    i agree with all the previous posts. don't go the "starter pack" route.

if cost is a big issue, i'd suggest going the used can find much better quality instruments and amps at close to the same price.
  12. Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    I agree, stay away from starter packs. Used or the other things mentioned so far would be much better.
  13. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I recommedn an SX

Those things are light years ahead of a squire these days.
  14. Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    D'oh! Of course! SX's. I'd go for one of those as a starter bass.
  15. Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Most starter packs are crap, I don't know about Ibanezes, I know that my old GSR200 supposedly has had the same quality inspections as their higher end gear. I really don't get why some companies make their starter instruments with such low regards to quality, its only going to discourage people.
  16. Serac

May 29, 2005
    Sx’s? Never heard of them.. What are they, and look like?
  17. they are essentiallt fender P-bass and Jazz Bass rip-off's that are better quality than squiers and about the same as a made in mexico fender ( i think )
  18. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    made in china, much higher quality. better customer service as well.
    i believe they offer start packs are rondo music as well.
    And the choices for finishes and styles are a lot wider than most other companies entry level instruments. i believe