some neck repair questions.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Scott D, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    i was on the phone, and my essex was laying on the chair.... like the neck was where my legs would be. and i sat down, and i didn't put much pressure on it, but the bridge was wedged under some funrinture, so i put alot of pressure on the neck, and then my strings went limp. it looks like there is a backbow. i was loosening the truss rod, and that helped some ( i think ) but i can still bend the headstock a little bit, and the strings are way too low. also, by the frets, there are little cracks that run purpendicular (on the side facing me). what did i do? did i break a truss rod? i looked for cracks and stuff on the actual neck, and didn't see anything. is my neck f*cked?
  2. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    It would be very hard to "break" a truss rod, as they are pretty strong steel. However, based on your description (althought without being able to see it) it sounds like you might possible have done some damage to the woods of the neck, or maybe the glue between the fingerboard and neck itself.

Take it to a good local guitar tech (actually, take it to several and get estimates from them all) and have them check it out for you.