Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some new video clips from Marco Panascia

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by jazzbass72, Oct 8, 2005.

1. jazzbass72

jazzbass72

Jun 26, 2003
    New York, NY
    Dear Talkbass friends,
    I've just finished updating my website with some new audio and video clips, and I thought I would let you know about it here.

Here are some direct links to the new video clips (Apple QuickTime must be installed on your computer in order to view them):

Blues in F

Bye Bye Blackbird

Rhythm Changes

Just Friends

The first 3 videos are solo upright bass, and the last video was shot with a cheap digital camera at the NAMM show this past January, featuring yours truly on electric bass, and my mentor Carol Kaye (aka the First Lady on Bass) on... guitar!

If you wish to view or hear some additional clips (several full length audio clips are available), feel free to visit my website by clicking here.

Best,
    Marco

P.S. For all of you in the New York City area, here's one more shameless plug, while I'm at it. I will be playing at the New York Blue Note, Tuesday October 11 through Friday October 14, with 18 year old piano sensation Eldar, special guests Roy Hargrove and Chris Botti. Sony Classical (Eldar's label) will be recording the shows for a live CD to be released next year, so we could definitely use some love from the audience to sound our best :D... More info on showtimes and tickets can be found at the Blue Note website.

2. bassdogEmer

bassdogEmer

Sep 14, 2005
    San Francisco
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie Amps, Bag end,Thomastik - Infeld Strings
    What up Marco - Andrew - aka Bassdogemer here - nice video clips. blues sounds great! Sorry I couldn't make the fatcat gig w/Shulman. I am out of town for a week but let hang again when I'm back.

talk to you soon
    bassdog over and out

:bag:

3. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Hey Marco,

For some reason, I couldn't get those links to work, but I checked out your website and took a listen to some clips - you sound great man! It's swinging hard.

Anyway, I'm gonna try to make it out to the Blue Note to see you with Eldar. Sounds like it will be a killin' show.

4. jazzbass72

jazzbass72

Jun 26, 2003
    New York, NY
    Thank you Pete,
    hope we can meet up since we both live in Long Island (well, Brooklyn is technically part of Long Island, isn't it? :D ). Let me know about any cool gigs you may have in the city. I've played a couple of gigs with your friend Neal Bellon (trumpet player), but haven't seen him in a long time, how is he?

If you weren't able to view the clips, then chances are QuickTime is not installed in your computer. You can get it for free on the Apple website (here)

Take care,
    Marco

5. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    I haven't seen Neal in a while. Last time I played with him was last New Years. He was doing pretty well then. I'll let you know next time I'm playing around town.

Regards,
    Pete

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Wow.

Time, musicality, technical facility, and tone. Something makes me think you're not hurting for gigs! Having heard a few clips of Eldar, I'm sure the audience is in for one hell of a treat.

7. Thanks Marco,
    That is just what I needed. I was starting to think that I had been improving, just goes to show me how wrong I was! :) :)
    Seriously though, this has given me more reasons to practice, a real inspiration. thanks

Paul Arkell

8. Dudie

Dudie

Apr 26, 2004
    Sweden
    Worldclass!

9. Johnnythekid

Johnnythekid Guest

Dec 20, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Wow :eek: The blues video is great! May I ask what scales you used throughout that? I know it's a little of a basic question, but it's a good place to start. My blues solos always end up more straight blues sounding, like a Stevie Ray Vaughan type of thing. I havn't been able to get that much of a jazz inflection in them like you have yet.

10. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I don't have a working sound card at present -- but, nice suit!

:)

I'll check out the clips as soon as I can.

11. jazzbass72

jazzbass72

Jun 26, 2003
    New York, NY
    Hi everyone,
    thank you all for your nice words, I appreciate them.

Johnnythekid, to answer your question, I never think of a specific scale per se while soloing... I think more in terms of chords, arpeggios and patterns I've learned from recordings and good musicians over the years. It's pretty much like learning a foreign language... it ends up flowing naturally out of you with some practice. And I do credit studying with Carol Kaye for a lot of what I know, so make sure you check out her website and look into one of her jazz bass tutors.

Hope this helps,
    Marco

12. Marco:

Good to see the clip of you and Carol. By the way, we met at NAMM a couple years ago, introduced by Carol. Seeing the video of you and her playing "Just Friends" reminded me of my lesson days at her home, her guitar playing still sounds great( her bass playing goes without saying) and she's looking good, a very cool woman!

I will try to get to NAMM this in 2006 and perhaps see you and Carol and set in on a couple tunes. BTW, I like the UR bass video, your playing sounds really great,IE tone,time and attack and articulation is excellent.

Don

13. Johnnythekid

Johnnythekid Guest

Dec 20, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Thanks much Marco! It's always cool to hear how other bassists think in terms of soloing and lines and such. I don't end up thinking much when I solo but I'd like to be able to practice and learn other disiplines and styles so I have more to work with when I do have to think about it more. I appreciate the advice! Again, awesome, awesome basswork! I checked out your website and I loved the groove you layed down on Footprints with the electric too.

14. jazzbass72

jazzbass72

Jun 26, 2003
    New York, NY
    Yes Don,
    Carol is quite amazing! If you're back at the NAMM show in January 2006, most likely you'll find the two of us jamming at the Ibanez booth. Looking forward to it! Make sure you say hello if you see us there, and sit in for a tune or two!

Best,
    Marco

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Just checked out "Blackbird", and really dug it. I like the way you build up the line from the Ray Brown intro all the way up to the busier stuff up in TP, and also the movable facility up in TP with sequential stuff. The sound is surprisingly good for what i assume was a video cam, too. What did you use to record that?

16. jazzbass72

jazzbass72

Jun 26, 2003
    New York, NY
    Hi Chris,
    thanks for your nice words, I am glad you liked the clip. Yes, a video cam was used for the clip, but a mic was simultaneously fed into Digital Performer, and then sync'd up with the video. The final resolution for the clip you just saw is actually terribly low, audio and video-wise, but a better resolution would have eaten up the available bandwidth on my server with just a few downloads.

Best,
    Marco

17. Hey Man,
    Great sound, great time, really nice. I was wondering if you use 4 fingers on the upright all of the time. I saw your third finger a lot and I wondered how and what you've studied to incorporate it. Thanks. Peace. ASG

18. jazzbass72

jazzbass72

Jun 26, 2003
    New York, NY
    Hi Arnold,
    thanks for your nice message. I grew up in Italy, and bass players are taught to play 1-3-4 there (the Bille school of playing). When I got to the US 7 years ago, I tried switching to the 1-2-4 system. Now I am just alternating the two systems, and yes, I do play 1-2-3-4 a lot as a result of the big mess that happened in my head when trying to reconcile the two different fingering systems. My intonation may not be the best as a result, but hey, I love the flexibility that the 1-2-3-4 fingering seems to give me, especially when it comes to hard-core bop soloing.

Hope we can talk offline, I just joined the Union here in NYC with the very purpose of starting to sub on Broadway, but I only have one tentative connection at the moment. As a 10 year veteran of the scene, I am sure you can help me out with some very useful networking info. :D

Best,
    Marco

19. dbkid

dbkid

Nov 8, 2005
    Hey Marco, I would love to see those videos on your site, but none of the links work ( even when using "Save Target As").

Can you fix this?

20. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Just checked out the "Rhythm Changes" clip.

BOOOO-yah! Nice stuff.