1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Some New York Bass Works pics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pat C., Apr 20, 2010.

1. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
    I was messing around taking pics of my basses a few weeks ago (when I should've been practicing) and just now got them uploaded so I figured I'd post them up here since many people probably have never seen NYBW basses before.

These are not professional photos, it was just me in the living room with my point and shoot, so don't take the pics as representative of the finish, color, etc. of these basses.

Concert 6-string, one of the first few that Dave Segal made. Honduran mahogany body, quilted maple top, maple neck, Brazilian rosewood fingerboard. I've been running Bartolinis for about 10 years, but the bass originally came with Lindy Fralin single coils. The Fralins sounded a little better, but the single coil hum was driving me crazy.

This bass was totally custom in that I picked out everything, I mean literally picked out the chunks of wood that were to make up the body, neck, fingerboard and top. That was a very cool process.

It's a 36" scale, but very playable...I was on a Carvin 4-string before I bought this thing and I had no problem making the transition from four to six. This bass sounds fantastic, the dynamic range is unlike any other bass that I've played. And the B is monstrous. I'm pretty biased about all that, of course. :D

BassesC6.

BassesC6Body.

BassesC6Rear.

BassesC6HS1.

Studio Series 4-string P/J. This is a prototype that Dave made as a kind of tribute to a '59 Precision. Swamp Ash body, Maple jazz bass neck, rosewood fingerboard. Lindy Fralin P and J pickups. Anodized pickguard. Full disclosure: I received an endorsement discount on this bass when I purchased it. I am not sponsored by NYBW or an official endorser, we'll leave the official endorsing to guys like Richard Bona. :D

As Dave would say, this bass does best played as a P bass. But that J pickup will bark at you when solo'd, and with everything full on it does a decent P/J slap tone. It's got a pretty different sound in every way from my six, which is kind of why I've got it. Plus it's got a traditional look for when the six might scare the rest of the band (as my bandleader said the first time I pulled out my six: "I feel like that thing is going to eat me").

BassesS4.

BassesS4Body.

BassesS4Rear.

BassesS4HS1.

Best buddies.

BassesBothFloor1.

BassesBothHS.

BassesBoth1.

seang15 likes this.
  2. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Lovely basses Pat, thanks for sharing the photos.

David now has custom humbucking pickups that I have been told sound just like single coils. You might want to consider having him install a set of these for you. If you do, or if you have heard these pickups on another of his basses, I'd be interested to hear what you think of them.

Jim

3. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    Wow! Does that P bass have a nitro finish?

4. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
    Hmmm, I don't know, I've never asked. I guess that I've figured, "it looks good, I like it, that's enough for me." :bag:

I've put out an inquiry to the get to the bottom of this, I'll keep you posted. :D

5. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    David does great work. Those are nice instruments man.

6. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
    Update:

The finish on the P is a hard, thin polyester finish. Dave says that is his standard "gloss" finish, but nitro is an option.

7. really nice lookin basses, and the best thing of all is that they're from the same manufacturer!

8. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I really love that 6. Which Carvin model were you playing? Because the body on that 6 really reminds me of a Bunny Brunnel with the upper horn brought in a little closer.

9. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
    Thanks man.

This was over ten years ago, I don't recall the exact model number. It was basically the current LB70, with passive electronics, Koa body and neck, ebony board. It was a pretty nice bass for the money. I don't think the body shapes of my Carvin and the NYBW were that similar, from what I recall seeing them side by side when I had them both. That was a long time ago, though.

I'm pretty sure the Concert is his oldest production model, the newer body shapes have been refined. I'm sure Dave could provide the specifics of each body type if you are interested.

10. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Just curious. You meantioned Carvin and I thought the body style of the 6 was similar to this with the upper horn brought in:
    http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=bb76