1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Some news for JERZY DROZD fans

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oversoul, Sep 17, 2008.

1. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    hey all, JD basses just posted some updates for upcoming changes to their models, option and construction wise, here goes the announcement:

I took the liberty of asking some questions to perfect this info, and JErzy gladly replied:

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Jerzy is a brilliant builder. I'm sure he knows what he's doing....however, I've rarely played a bass with a spanish cedear body that I've liked. I think it's stunning for fretless, or for a more "acoustic" sounding electric bass, but I find it much too "soft" sounding for a more conventional electric bass sound. Add that to the more smooth sound of pau ferro and that punchy, articulate sound that his basses have could be a thing of the past. I think the general characteristic of Jerzy's basses could change some with these alterations, but I do have faith that Jerzy will make it work.

I'm really glad to see Jerzy changing the body shapes, especially that lower horn. It's much too small for playing in a sitting position. I'm excited to see how they turn out. I always appreciate when a builder is open and confident enough to change things in their design to offer a better end result to the player.

3. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    I already had a chance to play a Cedar body JD, and I could tell a difference from the Etimoe ones, but who knows, there were a lot of variants in that bass (7 string) from astandard one. I should try some new ones later in October.

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Shame to hear he's not using ebony as the standard option now, I love the way a nice bit of ebony looks.

5. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal

Yeah I'm not too keen on the looks of pau ferro too, yes I agree it can be similar to macassar ebony, but you can tell the difference, it's somewhat paler than ebony.

I can totally understand tough, Jerzy used good pieces of black ebony, and that stuff is just getting harder to find.

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'd think something more like Katalox would be closer to ebony.

7. Not only good pieces, but very thick pieces. I would think there's not a lot of that around any more.

If the new neck attachment method eliminates that 'non book matched' cover thing, that would be a very good thing. These basses are so beautiful, that the non-matching 'cap' of body wood between the neck and neck pickup always looked kind of strange to me.

That being said, spanish cedar and Morado don't really scream 'top of the line bass' to me personally.

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm not bothered by that really. Any great builder can make poplar or basswood sound great. I'm concerned that matching spanish cedar and pau ferro for all of his basses will yield a less immediate sound, bordering on soft and mushy. I have an extremely well built bass now that has a swamp ash body and pau ferro fingerboard. I have found with my bass, and others like it, that a combination of a softer body wood and a wamer fingerboard will almost always give you a softer sound. It will work for some and not for others......

However, all this space we're taking up talking about it doesn't change the fact that Jerzy is one of the best and I'm sure he feels that he's improving on his own product. I trust that he'll make it work. I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing the differences in design.

9. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    I'm not too sure about that Ken. Some of the Pau Ferro can be a bit plain, but some of it is quite beautiful. The pau ferro board on my Lawrence sounds great. This piece to me sounds very similar to ebony but I much prefer the high end of the pau ferro. It is very bright without the slightest bit of harshness to it that I sometimes find in an ebony board's top end.

Lawrence1.

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yeah, I would suspect that the new Drozd basses will sound a bit different from the old ones. However, Jerzy is the professional builder and I'm merely a commentor, so I'll let him work his magic as he knows best!

11. man, don't want to question Mr. Drozd, but I always heard that Pao Ferro was more similar to rosewood than Ebony. I mean, it's a bit brighter, but no big deal (I know, my jazz has a morado board)...

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    It doesn't sound quite as snappy as ebony. In fact, when Fender were first making Urge bass prototypes for Stuart Hamm, the first batch had ebony fretboards on them, but they decided to try out Pau Ferro instead because the ebony was making them sound too harsh and zingy!

13. I'm sure Jerzy knows exactly what he's doing, but I'm glad that I got on-board with my '06 Legend fretless before the new features kicked in, as they strike me as a mixed bag.

I definitely prefer Ebony to Pau Ferro for fretless, having used both, and I too have found Spanish Ceder to be a bit polite or soft sounding, particularly since I favor a more aggressive, growly fretless tone to one that errs toward sounding sweet and smooth or overly warm. I also love the look of the contrasting inlaid top with abalone purfling to the more homogeneous look of the Sequel, but I'm sure the new Legend will still be a beautiful instrument in its own right.

14. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    but the funny thing is, I never considered the JD high end to be zingy and harsh with the ebony boards, my Ritter is much more harsh and agressive if I want it to be, and it has a macassar fingerboard.

Still, those woods aren't all but finished, he just won't use it a standard wood, and I much more prefer his Maple scale basses!

I'm more curious about the new neck attachment process, and the reshaping of the body :ninja:

15. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    I can't wait to see the new modified shape!!!

16. Jerzy just unveiled the new Legend design with a 28-position body shape. (As JD aficionados are probably aware, Jerzy builds his standard bass bodies in three different versions to accommodate 24, 28, or 36 frets.) AFAIK, all previous Legends were based on the 36-position body.

I dunno if this particular bass is representative of the new body contours, but it appears to me to be the same as the old 28-stop body. More details and pics here: http://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/stock.htm

44307-2.

44307-1.

A slightly older 28-stop body for comparison:

And my old-style Legend with inlaid top and 36 stops:

IMG_0033sm.

The new Legend appears to be a Sequel (shown below in the 24-fret body shape) with a different sound-hole and pickup arrangement. It certainly is beautiful, particularly with that amazing redwood top :eek:, but aesthetically, I prefer the distinctive (and probably much more labor-intensive) old Legend <-----(biased ;)).

[​IMG]

17. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Those new basses are looking lovely!

18. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Well, excuse me sir. I have a 'top of the line' custom made 'boutique' bass with a spanish cedar body that absolutely kills. I could have chosen any body material on the planet, but this was probably best for my tone goals. Big, warm, deep, punchy, large and in charge. This particular bass is one of the reasons folks say our trio sounds huge for a three-piece. IMHO.

Just funnin' with you, Ken. :D

M. M.