some nice sounding jazz

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Pesticle, Oct 17, 2002.

1. i am starting to branch out on my styles a little and i was wondering what are some good songs or artists to check out to get me a feel (and taste) of jazz. i dont want anything really hard .. just some basic stuff as i know jazz can get pritty darn complicated and difficult.

thanks much,

2. LizzardTom

Mar 16, 2002
    Some nice sounding and classical jazz, I would recommend Bill Evans Trio-Sunday at the Village Vanguard. Yes, Scott Lafaro could get complex,but for the most part it's very laid back. Some newer stuff, try Joe sample. He does not get to out of control. AS far as brand new stuff, mostly the jazz I listen to is pretty out there and complex like Wayne shorter's new CD and Herbie Hancock's new one. Most of the easier jazz starts getting into that "smooth jazz" thing. Pick up a copy of Jazztimes magazine and read the reviews, that's where I get most of my newer jazz CD's from. ;)
  3. This is a very good place to start:

Click on the Smooth Jazz icon, then go to page 4.

Get Smooth Grooves 1, 2 or 3, or better yet - all of them! They give a few cuts by some of the artits in Higher Octave's stable. I can't begin to describe it -it's that good! People at work ask me, "Ooo, who's that on the stereo?" I just show them the CD cover.

Most of the artists are too good to try and describe. Yeah, it's like that. I bought each of these CDs without ever hearing them; man was that a lucky move.

Some of the individual people I like are:

Craig Chaquico - Similar to Santana, only mellower and more complex.

Acoustic Alchemy - The way guitars should be played. The Beautiful Game is on Smooth Groves 3.

3rd Force - They got the funk - then some!

Natural High - Look for their tune, "Pacific" (it's on Smooth Groves 3)

Bryan Savage - Very good mellow sax - sometimes hard.

Grant Geissman - Jazz guitar that will make you convert to the hollow body faith.

Go through the whole site. Honestly, I myself did not, but, there is a juke box in there.

If I don't know what to buy, I buy anything. Sounds nutty, but, I've been pleasantly surprised many more times than I've been disappointed. (Which has been never :cool: )

A lot of their stuff is available here:

I'd say good luck, but, you won't need it here. :)

Mike J.
  4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

It has been said that the best all time jazz recording is the Miles Davis classic "Kind of Blue." I mention it because I don't care for "way out", avante guard jazz or bebop or other "hard" jazz, but I really, really like "Kind of Blue." It is so mellow and has a semblance of melody. I feel the CD is an excellent introduction for someone who would like to acquaint themselves with jazz, but don't want something that is so complex and challenging to follow that they get turned off.

Lizzard Tom mentioned Joe Sample and I think that is a good start, too.

Or try some jazz fusion...I'm partial to Pat Metheny.
    Or you might like Al deMeola. Those are both guitarists. If you like piano, you might try some jazz works of Andre Previn, not his classical work, but his jazz work and players like Oscar Peterson. Try Ahmad Jamal. His classic CD, "Digital Works" "plays with melody, but does not depart really far from it. Or check out Herbie Hancock.

If you want a smoother, more contemporary jazz, something far more "accessible" in terms of complexity, check out Al Jarreau, George Benson, Norman Brown, and David Benoit.
  5. <A HREF="">Allmusic</A> is a good place to start. It explains a lot of musical styles and gives differant examples of records/artists/bands who write/perform that kind of music. least I've found quite a lot of new bands from here...
  6. I agree with the choice of "Kind of Blue". It's regarded by some as the best jazz album ever. It is certainly melodic and very listenable. And it does'nt hurt that Paul Chambers is one of the greatest bass players to have ever lived. His bouncy gut tone and wonderful note choices make him my favourite upright player (yes, even moreso than Ray Brown).
  7. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    peter mcferrin would know more on this subject.... he listens to alot "elite" music :D :D :p
  8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    John Coltrane
    Charlie Parker
    Charles Mingus
    Thelonius Monk
    Eric Dolphy
    Cannonball Adderley
    Miles Davis
    Horace Silver
    Lester Young
    Sonny Rollins
    McCoy Tyner

There are too many more to mention, but this is a start. These are all classic heavyweights.