Some noobish pedal questions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wRaith, Sep 24, 2005.

1. wRaith

Aug 22, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    What does a flanger pedal do?
    What does a chorus pedal do?

I have no idea at all what either of these 2 pieces of equipment do.

I feel pretty dumb :bag: .

P.S. Also, what does a bass synth pedal do?

Sorry for the dumb questions guys, but if you don't ask........
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    From a guy on your side of the globe:

Flangers mix a varying delayed signal (usually about 5mS to 15mS) with the original to produce a series of notches in the frequency response. The important difference between flanging and phasing is that a flanger produces a large number of notches, and the peaks between those notches are harmonically (musically) related. A phaser produces a small number of notches that are evenly spread across the frequency spectrum.

Most flangers provide a resonance control to use internal feedback to enhance the peaks in the frequency response.

With low resonance, the effect is similar to the popular 70's studio trick of replaying a song on 2 tape decks, and touching the flange of each tape player in turn to slowly move them in and out of synchronisation with each other. Hence the term: flanging.

With high resonance, you get the "jet plane" effect.

Common controls are:

Rate and Depth - control how fast and far the frequency notches move
    Intensity (or Effect or Mix) controls the level of the delayed signal, and consequently, the depth of the frequency notches
    Resonance adds emphasis by applying internal feedback
    Flanging got its name from a trick used in recording studios where the same track was played on 2 reel to reel tape machines, and recording engineers gently touched the flange of one tape reel to produce a small delay between the machines. Then, by touching the flange of the other reel, they would bring the machines back into synchronisation again, removing the delay.

True vintage chorus works the same way as flanging. It mixes a varying delayed signal with the original to produce a large number of harmonically related notches in the frequency response. Chorus uses a longer delay than flanging, so there is a perception of "spaciousness", although the delay is too short to hear as a distinct slap-back echo. There is also little or no feedback, so the effect is more subtle.
    There are several variations of stereo chorus that are effective in providing a powerful "surround-sound" effect through a stereo system. The 2 most popular variations are:

Original through both left and right outs. As the delay is increased in the left channel, it is decreased in the right channel, and vice versa.
    Same as above, but with no original signal.
    Common controls are:

Rate and Depth - control how fast and far the frequency notches move
    Pre-Delay controls the delay length (which is modulated by rate and depth)
    Tone controls are sometimes available to control either the delayed signal alone, or the total effect
    Intensity (or Effect or Mix) controls the level of the delayed signal, and consequently, the depth of the frequency notches and level of the delay
    Resonance is not common, but can be added to emphasise the effect by applying internal feedback
    Modern digital processors produce chorus in a different way, which provides a stronger chorus effect, but also adds a small out-of-tune effect. It is produced by mixing the original signal with one that is modulated slightly flat then sharp, and further delayed a small amount. Personally I don't like them, but they are so commonly recorded now that most people have forgotten what vintage chorus sounds like.
  3. wRaith

Aug 22, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Awesome. Thanks for the mate, just what I was after.

If anyone could explain a bass synth pedal to me, that'd be ace.
  4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    A synthesizer optimized for bass? For those who are stuck in the 80s. :bag:
  5. dude, my suggestion is that you take a quite afternoon off and go visit your local, friendly music store and ask to make some noise for a while. Don't let on that you're not buying, just tell them you got some money for your birthday and you want an effects pedal and you need to try them all!

Words just don't do them justice - and besides, different pedals sound fairly different. Like, I could describe the Deep Impact, but it wouldn't do the Microsynth justice (both bass synth pedals.)