1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Some objective feedback on a non-communicative seller?

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by shotfromhip, Dec 6, 2011.

1. shotfromhip

shotfromhip

Nov 29, 2011
    Hey all, I’d love some feedback from anyone on this problem I have involving a bass I bought here on TB. I have been on TB for a while but I started up a new account/username to keep this thing completely anonymous in hopes of getting totally objective feedback. I bought a bass a few months ago, and when I went to pick it up at UPS, there were clearly items banging around in there, and I was instantly worried. When I got home, I found that the bass was shipped with the neck unattached from the body, which is fine if packed properly, however this was not the case here. There were some plastic grocery store bags and rumpled newspaper in the box, and a sheet of bubble wrap not even 2 square feet (just floating loose), but not anywhere near enough to keep the items from bouncing around in transit. The neck was covered with plastic shopping bags, and the body was uncovered completely. Amazingly, there was only damage to the body, but it is fairly extensive, as you can see in the pictures below. The large chip is right where you rest your arm, and about 2 inches long. There are 2 sizable dings on the back as well.

Pics – (these are cropped to be anonymous, larger, more detailed pics were sent to the seller) –

Bass2.

Bass3.

Bass4.

Bass6.

Bass5.

I immediately contacted the seller who said “Sorry to hear about the bass, in my classifed pics it is as is in my pics, i cant see how a chunk was taken out of the bass i assume shipping(was the box smashed), even though it was bagged mutiple times i felt secure with the shipment, if anything i thought the neck would be the one that would get hurt if anything. I am sorry. I cant parial refund or nothing as i have no money now. i did insure the ups. Again I am sorry. Thanks”

This was cut and pasted right from his email, so the spelling mistakes and bad grammar are not mine. I explained that I found it impossible to believe that he felt secure with the shipment, and pointed out that by saying “if anything i thought the neck would be the one that would get hurt if anything” it pretty much shows he had his doubts about the packing.

I took some pictures of the damage, posted them on the web, then sent the seller the link so he could see the damage for himself. His reply this time – “Yes, I seen the pics. Again I'm sorry. It has $250 insurance, UPS might can help thats the only option. Try to use the insurance. Leaving each other bad feedback doesnt help this matter either and i say that in a nice way. Again, I'm sorry and have never shipped any TB member I bad/nick/broken/chipped Bass or any other item.” Again, this quote was cut and pasted directly from the seller’s email.

I jumped through the UPS claims hoops and filed a partial claim, and low and behold, weeks later, they agree to pay the insurance/partial claim. UPS informs me that the seller needs to contact them, they email some paperwork to him, he fills it out, faxes it back to UPS and they send a check. Sounds easy enough, right? Seemed like a fair solution to a dispute to me.

Unfortunately, and I do not have any idea why, the seller will not respond to me via TB email, nor will he answer his phone. It is very frustrating to have a check waiting to be sent and I am unable to get the seller to respond to me or to contact UPS. I guess at this point the only thing I can do is leave feedback indicating my experience with the seller, just wondering if anyone else has any ideas or suggestions as to what I can do?

I know it’s caveat emptor around these parts, but this just seems to be ridiculous behavior from the seller, and I’m hoping I can convince the seller to contact me somehow, maybe some objective feedback will help.

Thanks to all, and I appreciate the opportunity to vent if nothing else.

2. Well your breaking TB rules by having multiple accounts.

Moving on,

File a claim with paypal , paypal is there to protect the buyers and you can get your money back , only problem is you may have waited to long.

3. shotfromhip

shotfromhip

Nov 29, 2011
    Thank you for responding, A-Step.

I'm sorry to the powers that be for breaking the rules, I'm just trying to get some advice without naming names (don't mind giving mine, don't want to name seller).

Unfortunately, the PayPal dispute window is 45 days, which the payment is well past. I didn't do that right away because the seller was initially being very responsive and helpful, and it appeared that the UPS claims process would work out.

I'm just really confused as to why a seller would just completely stop communicating with me. I have done everything on my end that I can as far as the UPS claim goes. They won't let me do anything further until they hear from the seller. Both the seller and I have positive feedback (him more than me), so I guess I'm wondering if any TB veterans might know a reason a seller would do this or if they have any advice as to what I can do. This is the first time I've had anything happen like this when buying something from the classifieds.

I'm stumped, and just hoping to get a little help. Thank you.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    shotfromhip, use the 'contact us' link at bottom to send us details via the helpdesk. While we can't make anyone do anything, we will do what we can to help

5. shotfromhip

shotfromhip

Nov 29, 2011
    thanks to the few who replied, it is much appreciated!

6. shotfromhip

shotfromhip

Nov 29, 2011
    this user account can be deleted, by the way, I won't be using it anymore. thanks

7. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hang that guy out to dry. Name him. There is no excuse for his behavior in this forum.

8. bassman_al

bassman_al Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    I want to know who he is since I would never want to buy from him. Ever. Its on him to give you a refund and deal with the refund himself. He is responsible for that. UPS wont even acknowledge the buyer since the buyer is not UPS's customer. See my thread on UPS damage experience.

9. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    I see he's playing the old feedback stalemate game. "You can neg me, but I'll neg you back" I've noticed just about everyone here has perfect feedback. Are people so afraid to take the hit that they will let bad sellers continue to behave like this without repercussion?