Some of my music

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by jazzbassnerd, Oct 8, 2005.

1. jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    So I would also like to get some feedback about my playing from the likes of the TBDB community. The link to my website is in my signature and you can click on music and stream and/or download tracks.

Brief description of some of the stuff:

"All Blues" - Just a jam with a guitar player here at Eastman. Yeah, we (I) mess up the form a little bit under the guitar solo a little bit, but I still think it feels good. In my mind, this makes it absolutely OK. This is the most recent recording of my playing on the site. Comment on any and everything please.

"Cloud 8" and "Saving Grace": both from my audition CD to college and both originals. I'm interested in what you think about the tunes and the playing. These were from over a year ago and not on my current bass. So on these I would rather hear comments about the playing and less on tone, just because I don't play that instrument anymore.

"This Place is Full of Loud Voices": Not that much bass playing happening on this one. Just kinda some experiments on stuff that I'm interested in (Computers and poetry in music). I'd love to hear what you guys think about this stuff. Its just way fun for me to create.

Thanks in advance for all of your comments, and [I hope you] enjoy!
  2. jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I just put my trio playing our take on "In a Silent Way" up there too. I would really like to get some feedback.
  3. jazzbass72

Jun 26, 2003
    New York, NY
    Hey Scott,
    I just checked out your sound files, and there's a lot of interesting stuff there. You have a very nice and full acoustic tone, even on the older instrument that you used for your school audition CD. I also find your experimentations on Garage Band very cool. I just got a Powerbook and I am looking forward to finding a minute to unveil the potential of that program. Do you use a midi keyboard to control the internal sounds? Are the sounds any good, and usable for demos/live performances?

If there's any advice I can give you, that's probably about the pacing of your soloing. In a composition like "Cloud 8", which is full of many different chords going by quickly, you could try to go for a "less is more" approach... maybe find those few notes that connect the different changes with one another, and try to limit your phrases around them. Or, find out a brief motif that works over those chords, and develop it by adding one note at a time. Check out non-bass players like trombonist Bob Brookmeyer, they can build amazing, simple motifs and develop them, even over the most intricate set of changes. I remember I used to have the same problem with compositions full of chords... I would kind of overplay to try and make all the changes, but then I found out that my solos would sound a little cluttered and without much developement, as a result. Sometimes, a beautiful melody (or solo) can just be made up by a few notes... and sound great! Rhytmic developement is another device you can use as well... start with a rhytmic pattern, and try to use it for a large portion of your solo.

That's just my $0.02. Since the "Cloud 8" recording is older, I am pretty sure you're already taking those things into consideration these days. Keep up the good work, Scott!

4. jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I did use a midi keyboard to control the internal sounds on the Garage band file. I do think that the sounds in there are useable for live effects. If you check out "In a Silent Way" on my same webpage (may have been uploaded after you visited) it has some of the computer sounds on it. I have been very interested in trying to get those types of sounds into my music and the powerbook with garageband has almost got me there. I just need to get better at using it. For the most part you can edit all the software synths in Garageband and that helps to make them more useful.

About the comments:

First or all, thanks for listening.

Its funny all of the stuff you said about my solos I have been realizing more and more in the two months I've been at school. The faculty really does talk a lot about motivic development in solos so you were right on the money in saying that I've probably been working on it because I definitely have.

Thanks for so many kind words and good ideas.
  5. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Man. Really nice stuff. Nice tunes, nice feels. The only thing I could think of as a small critique is that 'Cloud 8' has a busy and not very singable melody.

How do you write? Melody first? Together? Harmony then melody?

I've been trying recently to write linear melodies then harmonize them. I've found, for me, that I create more lyrical melodies that way. I don't know if that even is what you are interested in. I used to be very into rhythmically intricate stuff. Now I find so satisfaction like a horn player walking out of rehearsal singing one of my tunes.

I also find it an interesting challege to write a melody that is not conventional but somehow creeps into your head.

Of course this all a matter of personal preference. This is where I am now.
  6. jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    Which three songs are you listening to? The one's from the site that says "Scott Worthington - Bassists" of "Friendship Technique?" I only ask because it changes completely the way it was recorded. The Friendship Technique ones were jsut in a practice room at school with one mike possibly not positioned that well. The others (Scott Worthington - Bassists ones) were done with everything close miked and such by my high school director back home. Those were done mic only on the bass.

Thanks for listening and for your comments. I'm always concerned that my amps too loud (I use the AI Coda). I think its also because its so fricken clear that I can hear myself so well I never think that it needs to be louder in the audience.

Thanks again.
  7. jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    Wow that's strange, there was a post there that disappeared after I responded. Sorry...
  8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Scott, that's some pretty awesome playing. I really liked the tones and sounds on Cloud 8, as well as the composition itself. The level of playing and musicianship on this is kind of where I hope to be this time next year.

Kudos to your drummer on his cymbals -- personally, this is something I am incredibly picky about. The drummer's cymbals can make or break a recording IMO, and this guy has a both a great cymbal sound and great playing. They really go a long way to make everything else sounding much more professional.

PS: Isn't there a Steve Swallow tune called Saving Grace as well?
  9. jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    Thanks very much for your kind words. Yeah, the drummer on Cloud 8 and saving Grace is an absolute monster. I've been so fortunate to get to play with him over the years. Now I'm trying to convince him to come out to the east coast, mainly so I can keep playing with him.

I have no idea about the Steve Swallow tune. I had been listening to a lot of Trane and just had a real spiritual vibe at the time I wrote it (I was actually doing a home-stay in a Buddhist Priest's house in Japan at the time I wrote it). That's the place that I got the name.

Once again, thanks for your kind words.
  10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    The Steve Swallow tune is FALLING GRACE.
  11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Yeah, I noticed that last night 'round 3am :). Thanks Ed!
  12. jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I just updated my site with some friends and me on Stella.

Website link is in my signature, then click on music. It should be the top track. I hope you guys enjoy.

Just a note, it was recorded with one stereo mic in the an office at school. I put the track in GarageBand and put some reverb on it and such. The balance is a little off, but for one mic I'm pleased. I hope you guys enjoy, comments/hints/suggestions/trade secrets are appreciated.