Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some Of My Recordings And Sound Samples

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I was uploading a sound sample of my Elrick fretted five, and I figured I'd post a bunch of sound clips here if anyone was interested in hearing them, or just interested in hearing some sound clips of Elricks (and a Bongo).

I'm not much of a songwriter- whenever I play by myself, I usually just come up with a groove and then play over it on my looping pedal. I tend to be much more creative and push chord progressions when playing with another musician on a melody instrument. I wouldn't call any of these songs really (other than the Eubie and S.D.S. stuff)...maybe they're just bits of songs to be, but I like 'em.

Anyways, here's some short recordings:
    Recorded with Elrick singlecut fretted five
    A Simple Groove

Recorded with EB MM Bongo five
    The Earth Shakes
    Bongo groove

Recorded with Elrick singlecut fretless five
    Overfield
    Lalalala
    Elrick fretless (active) with EBow
    Silly EBow sample with EBow

Recorded with Elrick singlecut fretted six
    Chordal sample
    Low note and open strings walking sample
    Slap sample

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    A couple short vid sound samples:
    With Hill Custom fretless six:
    Fretless vid
    Fretless 2 vid
    With Elrick fretless (with the old Aero pups I've since replaced)
    Elrick fretless

With my old band Eubie. All recorded with Conklin GT-BD7 seven-string:
    Crooning Wilt (improv jam)
    Rubba Snayt (improv jam)
    Track 9
    Track 20

And some bass tracks I added to some .mp3s for a band in Prague called Suburban Death Squad, led by King Vitamin (aka Jeremiah Palecek). These won't be to everyone's taste (they're not gross or vulgar or anything- just weird) but I love them. I sent him a sample fretless track for "Poop on my face" and he wouldn't let me send a finalized version of it for him because he liked the looseness of it, so there's some noticeable intonation flubs :D

You can go here to listen to the tracks without bass first, then see how they sound now that I've added it by clicking the mp3s below.
    Songs without bass added

With bass:
    Machette Madness with Elrick fretted five
    Poop On My Face with Elrick fretless five
    Hunting with Elrick fretted five
    Fly Into The Sky with Elrick fretted five

There ya go for now. It's late, so that's all I'm doing tonight. I'm sure I've posted enough random fumblings to give you all a headache anyways :)

3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    *downloads all of em*

I first heard your playing on the bongo groove you posted and I'm a fan :) Great stuff.

4. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I just had a few free minutes at work and checked out "Simple Groove".

Really nice! It reminded me of working in an empty record store, playing Bill Frisell tunes. Mellow and creative.

I'm looking forward to checking out the other soundclips!

5. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I already forgot about this thread :D Any suggestions for Frisell albums? I've heard The INtercontinetnals and thought it was great, but that's the only one I've heard.

6. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

The first time I saw Bill Frisell, he was on a TV show called Late Music? or something like that. He played, there was a singer also, and Sting was on the show also. Each band played, then at the end of the show they all played together. At the time I was a huge Sting fan, and had no idea who Frisell was. They all played Ain't No Sunshine. Blew me away. After a few years in high school, I totally forgot about him, and then in college a guitar player reintroduced me.

Lots of suggestions:

"Gone, Just like a Train" Nonesuch Records
    [​IMG]

"Live" Gramavision
    [​IMG]

"Nashville" Nonesuch Records
    [​IMG]

"Good Dog, Happy Man"
    [​IMG]

"In Line" ECM

Nashville, and Good Dog, are very "countryish", while the Live is more "experimental". Gone like a Train, is inbetween them, and In Line is a duet ECMish album. Sort of reminds me of Abercrombie with fewer notes.

If you dig Intercontinentals, I would suggest checking out Good Dog, and Nashville first. Then make your way across the spectrum and check out Gone like a Train, and the Live album. Let me know what you think.

Happy listening!

7. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks, Kori- I'll check some of those out :)

8. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Your music sounds good, but it is your artwork I like best. Very nice! i would love to see more.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks- that's mostly what I do (did) anyways. I haven't been able to paint for almost a year because of where I'm staying, but hopefully my wife and I will be purchasing a house in the next couple weeks so I can get back to work and get more images up on the site.

10. VVildo

VVildo

Sep 6, 2005
    I could listen to A Simple Groove on loop for hours. In fact, I could probably do that with a lot of these tracks. Good work. Color me impressed.