Some of Pink Floyd's basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Axstar, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    I've finally sorted through my photos from my trip to London back in June, and I've dug out some photos from the Pink Floyd exhibition 'Their Mortal Remains' at the Victoria and Albert museum.

As a Pink Floyd nerd, especially for the early stuff up to Dark Side of the Moon, I really enjoyed seeing so much of their equipment. Here are the basses:

jJ2s62Uh.jpg

One of Roger Waters' Precision basses. I tried to work out the lineage of this one, as Roger had a few basses re-necked with Charvel necks (and counterfeit decals!), but I couldn't work it out. This bass looked old and well used!

el1wnwWg.jpg

This bass was previously seen at the 'Interstellar' exhibition in Paris. It is called the 'psychedelic bass' and previously featured a psychedelic paint job that looked a bit like Panzer tank camouflage. As you can see this bass has the Billy Sheehan mod; a Gibson mudbucker down at the end of the neck. The cut down tort guard and switch is quite a tasteful touch!

Before:

8e4585a343d5c5110842f56f4b3e2e15.jpg

Finally:

WOG30L0.jpg

Huh! I joked about this in another thread. An Ovation Magnum! Any guesses as to where this appears on Floyd records?

What I didn't photograph was a facsimile of the P bass Roger Waters played around mid 1970 (notably at the Bath festival, Hyde Park and Kralingen festival). This was a black '60s P bass with both chrome covers, rosewood neck and a tug bar on the pickguard. It was apparently a modern bass returned to '60s spec using period parts.

What was missing? A Rickenbacker RM1999, as used by Roger Waters exclusively during the Syd Barrett era.

And because I wore out my VHS copy of Live at Pompeii:

DGTA3Wql.jpg

2. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    I originally found my way to TB researching the basses my youthful idols played. I love this post. Thank you for it.... Where does the Ovation Magnum fit in the Floyds history? Their early psychedelic days?

3. I'd love to know myself but it's NOT the early days since Magnums were first rolled out in either 1974 or '75...

Other than the missing Ric and the inclusion of later-date-P-Bass, I'd presume that the rest of the exhibition was along the lines of inner cover of Ummagumma, @Axstar ?

Aberdumbie likes this.
  4. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    I always think of this one:

OqggwLV.jpg

lMisFpr.jpg

5. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Nerd time... there were some similarities, but the guitars and basses were all different. Pink Floyd suffered a gear theft in New Orleans in 1970. While most of their gear was returned, the guitars never resurfaced. On the Ummagumma cover there is a white P bass with chrome covers, that is seen in all 1969 footage (except the rare sightings of the psychedelic P bass) and in the KQED video. It was stolen and never recovered, alongside the white Strat on Ummagumma and black Strat David is playing in the KQED video. The brown Telecaster on the Ummagumma cover wasn't stolen (from memory it appears later in 1970) but the Rickenbacker RM1999 might not have been stolen as it was dropped as a touring instrument. On the Ummagumma cover you can see that the pickguard has snapped in a straight line along the lower set of controls! One reporter also stated that Roger Waters appeared to whack a gong 'with his bass' during their performance at the Philadelphia Festival in 1968. Perhaps hyperbole but maybe true?

The Pompeii P bass wasn't in the exhibition. This might have been bought back in 1968, as Roger seems to have cycled through a sunburst P bass and the RM1999 in 1968, before dropping the sunburst bass in favour of the white P bass mentioned above. The sunburst model reappears in 1971, if not late 1970. Same bass? Who knows! I saw a web page recently where a sunburst P bass was for sale, apparently previously owned by Roger Waters. The seller claimed Roger paid for work on his house by giving them the bass! Bonhams : Roger Waters: a Fender Precision bass guitar, serial no. 274352,

6. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Thanks for posting these!
    Gilmour supposedly used it on The Wall. As to which specific tracks, I'm unsure...it's definitely not "Hey You" (fretless) and probably not "Young Lust" (sounds like a Precision to me).

Axstar, Son of Wobble and ajkula66 like this.
  7. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    Resurrecting... I took these photos in Madrid last week, enjoy:
    PF bass 1.jpg
    PF bass 2.jpg
    PF bass 3.jpg
    PF bass 4.jpg

8. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    That can't have been the real 'Black Strat' then!

The Pompeii sunburst bass lives in the Hard Rock Cafe in Glasgow. I plan to visit soon.

9. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
  10. trashpanda

trashpanda

Jan 20, 2019
    san diego
    does anybody actually know what happened to his rick? is it lost like syds esquire? i know the neck was toast around ummagumma, but what did he do with it?

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022