Some of the most appalling stuff I've ever read...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Hategear, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Apparently, my fiance's daughter was involved in an incident in school today, involving three of the boys in her class. From what I understand, she made a drawing that they laughed at, causing her to get upset and cry. Now that the scene has been set, here's the point of this thread: Here are their notes of apology, word for word (if you can call 'em that). The words in parenthesis are corrections the teacher made for them. Keep in mind, these are fourth grade students, people!

Note 1 is from "Tom" -- "Dear 'Sally,' im sorry that I laheft at your piture. I hope you can forsive me from lahefeting at your pitcutre."

Note 2 is from "Richard" -- Sorry for laughing at your drawing. It's not that bad. I din't mean for you to cry. I'm really sorry that I did that. I really din't mean to do that. It looks alot nicer than mine. You did a well (good) jod (job) on it. I am really really really sorry."

And finally, note 3 is from "Harry" -- "I am sare (sorry) pascs (because) the picr was fuee. I bat meing to laf at your pahr (picture). your pohr is nich I pmait (promise) I will nat laf at yaur pohr (picture)"

Now, I have to ask, what the **** is going on?!? This is some of the most disturbing crap I've ever seen. I mean, these kids are in fourth grade! If this is our future, God help us.

EDIT: For anyone that doubts this is for real, I can scan the actual letters and post 'em as well.
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    psh. In fourth grade,i was the only kid at my school at the high school reading level... and i was in the highest spelling/vocab level they had... words like Unconstitutional... stupid kids.
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I know you're upset about this, and rightfully so, but I honestly and truly know high school graduates that write like that. Makes you wonder where your tax dollars go. :confused:
  4. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Well, if TB isn't a place for self-gratification, where is? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You'd think that by 4th grade they'd know how to spell a little bit. Shame :(
  5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Besides the fact that they cant spell its sad to think that many people entering highschool couldnt construct a sentence any better than some of those.

I think its terrible that these kind of students are given passing grades and allowed to move on another year. Sadest thing is that there are so many people going on at this level that it might be considered the standard before long. Just because a lot of people are at this level doesnt mean it should be considered ok.

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Two words: Maurice Clarett.

He writes like that, and is now suing the NFL so he doesn't have to attend college for a few years getting his degree in "modern family management".
  7. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    :eek: yipes thats a bit scary! Myself being in Grade 10 now, the situation is a lot better than that in my school, but I'm in a really good school; gotta wonder what's going on elsewhere :eek:
  8. Slava, let's be fair, our schools are better here. BTW, what school are you at? I am in FX Grade 12 myself.
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

The internet in general :p :rolleyes:
  10. not to my school, thats for sure. i am pretty sure i attend one of THE WORST public schools in the nation. the buildings are at least 50 years old (my grandfather has a year book from when he went to the same highschool), we have roaches and mildew out the ass, we dont even have enough money to buy a machine to make student ids, yet the whole district is out of school next friday so that all teachers and staff members can go to a giant party paid for by our parents tax money. :rolleyes: x a million
  11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    This is true to a degree, but I don't like this arguments too much because it leaves the parents out of the loop.

I come from a family of teachers (dad, 2 sisters), and what I hear from them is that those kids do well who have parents that care about them and how they do in school - and this is getting rarer.
    This not only concerns good grades, but also social skills, the ability to concentrate over a period of time, cope with frustration etc.

Teachers can only do so much. When nobody in the family checks up on or helps with the homework etc. who else will?
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I tend to agree - I learned to read and write more from my parents, who took the time to sit and read with me at home.

I think this is the big change in society - parents in the 1950s, 60s saw their children as a big investment for the future after the horrors of WWII - they put everything into their children.

But I think we have had several generations now of parents who "want it all" - they want to do and have all the things that everybody else does - we have had the "Me" generations.

So they want a good job, great social life etc etc - but where do children fit into this?

They get stuck in front of the TV or computer!! :meh:
  13. Is that actual english? Looks almost like german or something... :meh:
  14. Makes me thankful that England has a decent education system.
  15. Bruce Lindfield

I doubt it is any better than the USA and Canada and probably a lot worse on many counts - as I mentioned elsewhere many employers are complaining tha they don't get the kind of potential recuits they need with sufficient communications skills.

I think it is a general symptom of what has happened to capitalist societies across the world and the "Me" generation - parents in the UK are just as likely to ignore their children's education and sit them in front of the TV or PC while they get on with their own lives!! :(
  16. You know Dave, you're right! It almost looks like something out of Jabberwocky. :eek:

See for yourself:

JMX and Bruce, you are both 100% correct. Teachers can only do so much. I went to Catholic grammar school. Back then (the 60s) you either learned every lesson every day, or you were sent home with a note to mommy and daddy. Then, the after school fun started. :bawl:

Kids can't read? Send them to Blackbird; the problem will be solved! ;)

17. Yes, that's true I suppose.

Before anyone has a go at me, Im going to make it clear that I wasn't saying/implying that our education system is better than anyone else's, just that I think it's alright.
  18. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I view it as a good thing - the guys who collect my trash will be retiring one of these days.
  19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

My(4th grade) son brings home quite a bit of homework. My (1st grade) daughter is getting her share too.

But we help them to navigate and complete the work, and try not to give to many clues to the answers.

There are still some grammatical and spelling issues, but one would hope that one of the 3 letters posted above would be somewhat cogent. Rather than having to be translated from (what appears to be)an internet posting.
  20. Bruce Lindfield

If they're lucky - I know guys who got degrees a few years ago, still working in Burger King! :meh: