Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some of you have a real bourgeois attitude...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by GeneralSuckitov, May 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am new to TalkBass and thought I would read a few of these posts to get a feel for what goes on in here. My opinion is that a lot of you can be very closed-minded (and even downright mean) when it comes to others and their abilities. I have seen people arguing over the fact that someone in a cover band is not as good as someone that writes original music, I have seen people argue over the fact that someone with a four-string bass is not as good as someone with a 5 and I have seen people telling others who their favorite band or bassist should be and why. I thought we were supposed to be bassists in here.....it shouldn't matter what you play, how you play or why you play - just THAT you play. Think about that people.

By the way, I know this is just MY opinion here, but I have heard some of Jaco's playing and I can say with all honesty: I don't see the attraction. Maybe someone could help me out with that one?

2. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    jaco is a matter of personal taste in my opinion. i have heard him and as impressive as it is to me, it's nothing that I care to hear on a regular basis.

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    My sincerest welcomes GENERAL:

Welcome to the world of music. As musicians are a diverse group of people, and artists no less, there will be dissension in the ranks. I think that this is normal. Certain people will biased views regarding their gear or influences. Especially when you feel passionately about something.

Talkbass is, however, very much a community, and we keep each other in check. Blanket statements condemning gear, other musicians, or non-related personal beliefs are frowned upon. Those people who do this on a regular basis are ostracized. On the other hand, it's also a very open community, with a range of bassists from 13 year old punk players to jazz and classical double bassists in firmly established careers. I encourage you to celebrate that diversity. I too, can become discouraged by close-minded rantings, but if you weed through that, you will see a very symbiotic environment.

And you're right, it doesn't matter "what you play, how you play or why you play." I don't know if it's enough to say that you should JUST play. This is like that whole Nike "Just Do It" promotion. That ideal that you can abandon rules and convention and just do whatever you want. Certain things that receive the most fury around here, like relying on tabs only, lack of desire to listen to all genres of music, close-mindedness regarding name brands, are berated because they don't take a thoughtful and creative approach to music. Sure, it's great to JUST PLAY your bass, but isn't it so much better to play the bass with ideas, creativity, thought, passion, and open-mindedness. That is what is coveted here.

As far as Jaco, there are many threads regarding his skills, please search for them, as you may be able to find the answer to your question there. He is an artist, and created art, in which not every person will like. I encourage you to look in his technique and approach, for that is where he was most influential. Liking his music or not, is all about personal taste.

4. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Who's Jaco?

:)

/lovebown

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Thanks, jazzbo. You saved me a ton of typing.

Will C.:cool:

6. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Maybe that kind of music (Jazz) just doesn't "speak" to you. You're definitely not alone in that opinion...many rock-oriented players tend to ignore Jaco's talent strictly because they don't like the music that he involved himself in. If you've never tried to create a unique bassline (or any bassline) over those types of changes, I don't think you can fully get the impact of what he did. And you also have to remember that he was one of the first guys to really make electric bass a complete voice, encompassing solos and groove support and a tone you couldn't cover up with 300 Marshall stacks. You have to be able to appreciate him in the proper context, that's all.

I tend to believe that if Jaco were still alive, and chose to walk onstage and do "his thing" with (insert name of popular rock band here) one night, he'd be all the rage among the younger guys on Talkbass the next day.

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I got your back.

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I think you just contradicted yourself.

Keep in mind, this site's demographics include 32% between the ages of 13-17 and 36% 18-24. Who didn't argue over "whose dad could beat whose dad" when they were young?

As for "bourgeois," we have MANY unconventional and non-conformist people here.

9. Comakazi

Comakazi

May 3, 2001
    Midwest US
    Well, here's my .2
    I've lurking on this forum for quite a while, as well as lurking in a lot of the "other" bass forums. This is the only one I decided to come out and speak on because, over all, I felt that this was the most laid back, helpful, friendly, and non-judgmental group out there.
    There are other ones out there, don't feel I need to name them, that are extremely elitist!
    Having said that you're dealing with artists here...
    and they are by there very nature a bit idiosyncratic and can be weird and opinionated. But that's because we have passion and ideas, we feel very strongly about what we do and at times things can get heated. But I've rarely seen anyone being downright mean and rude.
    As for Jaco...it's all a matter of taste.

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Be Quiet!!! you all are ignorant!! I will beat you with my eventide 6000000 harmonizing power master conditioning rinse!!! I know these things because I am the star of Berklee!!! mwhaahaaa!!!!:D

Just kidding.

11. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    General, the title of you post is spot on - some people here are mean, but most of 'em aren't. This is one of the more pleasant forums I've been too, there are a lot of people here who know what their talking about and are very willing to type out what they know to pass it on.

Ok, some people smack each other down, but if thats their bag then let them crack on and just let it wash over you.

You pretty quickly adjust to it and learn who to listen to and who not too !

Have fun - see you on the forums :)

12. yea.. and then there are the arses of TB. JWC and I are the top.. well.. I wish I could measure up to JWC.. but nowhere close :) hehehe

13. which reminds me, what happened to that "bassheavy" feller? did he finally piss off the wrong guy, or just decide he didn't want to play with us anymore? :rolleyes:

oh and general - i kinda agree with you, but your post comes across like you're better than us, telling us what not to say and such. it might be a good idea not to do that, especially as a brand new member. it's kind of insulting. no offense, just advice to live by if you don't want everyone to dislike you.

14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I guess you find what you want to find here. I've been on talkbass a while now - I have never seen anyone tell anybody who their favorite bassist SHOULD be, I have never seen anybody tell anybody they were better because they played with more strings, and I have never seen anyone say that they were better musicians because they wrote original music.

Now I'm gonna go pick up the 9 string I just built myself to go write some solo bass compositions that'll make you guys finally realize that Jaco ain't the greatest bass player that ever lived, I am. Dammit!

And ditto on what dancehallclasher just said. And so nicely put :).

15. i didnt read all these posts cause there to long, you should all shorten up your responses, ha....

I LOVE YOU ALL!!

16. GarethBull

GarethBull

May 4, 2001
    As the current uber-newbie, I say:

Less talking, more playing!

17. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

18. What did happen to Bassheavy? He was lagit, well, he claimed to have a variety of cool basses, and he did support the evidence to prove that. Hmm, I dont know...

19. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    He's become a "Guest."

20. The "General"'s got an interesting profile....in particular his gear list.
    are those small and large-mouth basses custom made?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.