Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

some part fell out of my bass last night

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by erikwhitton, Dec 31, 2002.

1. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    hello:

i bought a 1956 Kay C-1 and when I brought it home last night, i could hear some rattling pieces in side the body. So i turned it over and shook 2 small (1/2"?) but somewhat thick black rubber washers out of it. A small metal clip also came out. The washers are not large enough to have been attached to the pin.

i have no idea what these are or why they fell out. If anyone here can help me out that would be great.

thanks, happy new year!

my fingers hurt,
    erik whitton

2. This is just a guess, but it sounds like it may be the remnants of some kind of pickup that was installed on the bass at some point.

3. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    I hope so!

thanks for the reply. there is a fishman on there now. i don't think it's anything problematic.

-erik

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Reminds me of my old Fiat... parts fall off, keeps running anyway.

5. You wouldn't believe some of the things that I find inside of basses brought in for repair. What ever you found inside is not from the bass, so don't worry about it. The "f" holes on basses are an inviting target for people (expecially kids) to put things in. I think they rank second only to Tuba and Sousaphone bells.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    An IUD to prevent little cellos?

7. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    I once [in a previous life] got a friend really P'od when I put his collection of marijuana seeds into his bass. Talk about a buzz!!

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i found an ad for a nightclub from the 40's crunpled up in the bottom of my bass when i got it...

9. HAH!!

Speaking of kids sticking things in the F holes: I recently had to retreive a harmonica that my two year old stuck in there. I fear that may be the first of many.

10. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Erik: Those are gravitic modulators. If you remove them, you'll only be able to play in C Major or A Minor.

Oh -- you took them out already?

Good luck with your new beast!

11. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Those loose bits could be from the fetzer valve, but I thought Kay stopped using those in '48.

Stuff found in a bass: toys, dolls, report cards, money, candy, letters, guitar picks, newspaper, uncooked pasta, condoms (unused, thankfully), chicken bones, but dope seeds- not yet...

12. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Playing a tux gig in a 4 star restaurant back home, the cigarette fell from my lips right into the damned f hole one time. It was quite a scene with me, bass over head, trying to get the thing to drop out. Much harder than getting a guitar pick out of a steel string acoustic. I finally succeeded...

13. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    Lit?

14. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Yup. That's why the panic.

15. That's something they neglected to mention on the surgeon general's warning!

16. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Mebbe we need a Luthier General of the United States.

17. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    Gut strings used to have rubber washers on the end of them so that that wouldn't break at the tailpiece.

18. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I bet those are remnants from an original Ampeg endpin microphone.

19. Bruce Calin

Bruce Calin

Oct 15, 2002
    Thomastik used to put little washers & metal bridges in with their solid-core strings to cushion the strings & keep the angle from being too sharp going over the bridge.These things were a pain to install & would tend to slip out & fly across the room.Fun times.