some peavey cirrus questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hapes-Nova, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Hapes-Nova

Hapes-Nova

Jun 11, 2006
    hey all,

so i'm shopping around for a new 5-string and i've been looking at the Cirrus 5 a little bit, but i have a few questions about it. first of all, does anyone know the string spacing at the bridge? i heard it was 17mm, but does anyone know for sure exactly?

secondly, i know some models have gloss finish, while others have an oil finish, but what kind of finish is on the neck? is it also an oil finish on all models? or is it a satin finish?

lastly, i've heard of mixed thoughts on the battery life. anyone know about how many hours of use i might expect to get before i'd have to change batteries?

i've heard alot of great things about the cirrus, but i've never been able to find one in stores anywhere, so any opinions or thoughts are also welcome (since the search isn't working now, heh). thanks.

-dennis

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think that Cirruses may have recently widened spacing to aroound 18mm. I know the spacing on a new Cirrus 5 I played is wider than that on my SR5 or my Millennium. Cirrusses all have oil necks. The bodies are glossy though. I don't yet own a Cirrus, but I suspect battery life is good. The battery in Millennium last several months at a time, and the Millennium have the same preamp as the one on Custom Shop Cirrusses.

3. ustabawannab

ustabawannab Caesar's palace, morning glory, silly human race. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Greenfield, WI.
    I was looking at an American Bubinga Cirrus 5 this weekend at Cream City Guitars. The whole bass has a tung oil finish.

What an unfortunate time for the search engine to go down! I almost pulled the trigger but I have a million questions about this bass. Don't mean to hijack your thread but what the hell is a VFL pickups? It was so noisey in the stor so i didn't have the chance to really try them out. Shame too, because they have a ton of Eden and Ampeg amps and cabs on the floor. The neck felt wonderful, however. ;)

4. Hapes-Nova

Hapes-Nova

Jun 11, 2006
    i think VFL is just what peavey is calling their pickups. i have no idea what it stands for.

so with the oil-finished necks, i assume these would have to be regularly oiled/maintained the same as an oil-finished body would have to be?

-dennis

5. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    Yes but not as often as the body.

6. Hapes-Nova

Hapes-Nova

Jun 11, 2006
    hmm, well this is interesting. I emailed a question to peavey technical support, and they mentioned that the necks on the cirrus basses will have the same finish as the body, unless ordered differently. I was also under the impression (as dr. cheese mentioned) that all the necks, regardless of body finish, had a type of oil finish. anyone have any ideas about this?

-dennis

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That could well be the case that the bodies and necks have the same finish usually, but all the standard (non-custom shop) Cirruses I have seen have an oil finished neck and painted for some other non-oil finish body.

8. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    "VFL" stands for "Vertical Flux Loading". I'm sure the name itself is little more than a marketing term, but here's the theory behind it straight out of the Cirrus brochure from way back in '93...

VFL Technology
    All Cirrus basses are equipped with Peavey designed VFL™ (vertical flux loading) pickups. While VFL pickups have two coils of wire, as in conventional designs, the efficiency of the magnetic structure and also the reduction of magnetic loss increase the pickup’s output and frequency range. VFLs are equipped with a vertical steel pole piece — one for each coil. The exceptional and unique difference of the VFL pickups is the magnetic structure. Instead of the magnet sitting under the pole pieces, the magnet sits in between the pole pieces, thus eliminating any air gap between the magnet, the coil wire and the pole pieces. In short, the result is a very wide, but very sensitive, magnetic field. Instead of being magnetized very strongly at only the bottom of the pickup, the VFL magnetic structure allows the magnetism to equally sense the pole pieces along the entire height of each pole piece. Traditional pickups that are magnet-loaded have a very tall magnetic window, as we call it. Also, most conventional bass pickups rely on added turns of wire, and also increased magnet size, to yield a higher output. While conventionally designed bass pickups work very well, Peavey’s VFL technology goes a step further. VFL’s efficient magnetto-coil design expands the frequency range of the coils, and also allows the player to tailor the tone through the use of the EQ, rather than using his amplifier for all of the EQ modifications. Since the VFL utilizes fewer turns of wire than other conventional pickups, your high end is increased, offering unparalleled presence and output, along with clean low end, very controllable mid-range and reduced noise due to the SMT technology used in the internal circuit board.

VFL™ Reduced Inductance Design
    What is reduced Inductance? The longer length of wire used to wind a pickup, the less high end you hear. This is due to the fact that inductance builds up. A simple way of explaining this is that trebles, or high end, have a hard time flowing through very, very long lengths of wire, so the high end starts to decrease because the highs don’t travel as easily through these long lengths of wire. With VFL, the magnetic field circles the pickup like a very wide oval. We call this the “magnetic window.” This “window” senses a much wider area than traditional pickups, thus producing better low and high end, especially when coupled with the reduced turns of wire. This is much the same principle as in an instrument cable that is very long; some high end is lost. A normal humbucking pickup has almost four times the inductance of a Peavey VFL. This means that the VFL pickup is four times as efficient as any normal-type active humbucking pickup. Also, VFLs are extremely sensitive to playing technique and very responsive to the touch. The harder you play, the more the VFL will react to the attack of your fingers or a pick.

What is VFL™ ?
    VFL™ (vertical flux loading) pickups utilize a wide aperture magnetic system with air gap geometry. One centrally located magnet with two separated pole pieces and coils comprise the VFL pickup. The VFL pickup provides the magnetic field, which reaches out vertically towards the strings without over damping them. The result is rich, full, warm sound with lively highs and great sustain. Also, the fundamental load inductance design provides for a wider bandwidth for the pickup. In other words, the tone of the guitar is not limited to the pickup but is chosen by the player at the preamp or amplifier for more flexibility and originality. Peavey couples the wide aperture pickup along with its increased magnetic efficiency and surface mount technology to give you the best sound possible.

I hope that helps.

- Frank.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021