Some people just can't leave well enough alone

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JPJ, Mar 28, 2005.

1. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    This is one of those home-brew jobs where I'm not sure if I should cry, say a prayer for the guy who mangled this poor neck, or just laugh until I wet myself! :D

PLEASE KIDS....DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. :eek: :smug:
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

I think he got millimeter and centimeter confused when he attempted that modern woodworking marvel.
  3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Looks like someone tried to "scallop" the neck. I thought that was mainly popular with guitar players. :D
  4. All I can say is "inbreds should not let inbreds Dremel"
  5. Why would you scallop your fretboard at the nut end of the neck?

Why would you scallop your fretboard through the fretboard?

As JPJ said, 'kids, do not try this at home, this man is a trained professional.'
  6. What is the point in scalloping the neck btw? I've heard of it, just never known what it was for.
  7. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Billy Sheehan's Yamaha Attitude bass has some of the upper frets scalloped out. I *think* it's to facilitate easier string bending.
  8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

With little knowledge comes much danger.
  9. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I have a suggestion for whoever did that: Bondo. :D

The resurface with a Jaco-esque varnish, and voila. :)
  10. What's wrong with it?

Looks like the perfect storage device for rolls of quarters! :smug:
  11. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    That reminds me of the first time I tried plumbing!!!!!!!!!
  12. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    would have made Yngwie... ummm, proud?

Actually any cat that has played a Vena (four string indian instrument, monster deep scallops), you can achieve many microtonal scales... but that's just too gross for!
  13. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I found this on one of those "build your own guitar" forums. This guy was definatley an Yngwie fan gone awry! :eyebrow:
    As for why you would do it, aside from just being straight up weird....some guitar players like the feel of huge frets and a scalloped fingerboard. It has something to do with being able to play faster....just fluttering over frets, etc. BUT, if you decide to go that route on your own, for whatever reason, I don't think you're supposed to take the wood down the freakin' TRUSS ROD in the process!!! :D :smug: