Some people just plain suck to play with

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by clutebass, Mar 7, 2010.

1. clutebass

clutebass

Jan 15, 2010
    Cincinnati
    So I need to vent and figured some of you may have experienced something like this before. This morning at church, a "professional" guitar player played with us. He didn't come to practice, didn't know the songs, but acted like he was running the place. Before we played he was complaining about his bands drummer not being able to keep time while they were recording in his studio. He thinks he's a big shot. Don't get me wrong, the man destroys on guitar but today, I wanted to punch him in the face. We run through the first verse and chorus of a couple songs before people arrive and he's totally faking that he knows how the song goes. Then, we play one song, "I Run to You" (with the word baby replaced with Jesus) by Lady Antebellum, and I start to lay down that bass groove in the intro and he stops playing, looks at me, and has the nerve to tell me I was playing in the wrong key! He had never even heard the song! Well when it comes time to play it in the service the worship leader takes the guitar from him since he doesn't know and I played the song the exact same way as before. Then, Mr. Professional tells us that we sounded great on that song. I didn't do a thing differently between the two takes... I hate people like that. Sorry for the long rant. I look forward to similar stories!

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Punch him in church?? Cool!!!

3. ciudadmarron

ciudadmarron

Oct 16, 2009
    Sydney
    That's exactly what I thought. :)
    I know the type though.

And fortunately have never had to work with one, music wise anyway.

4. geeza

geeza

Mar 15, 2009
    Earth, but just barely.
    I'm not wearing pants
    I'm kinda in that situation. It's frustrating and infuriating at the same time.

5. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I used to play with a guy like that at my old church. He was a great player (always knew the songs) but was such a pain in the butt to work with. Was always complaining about everyones mistakes (except his) and was always nagging our drummer about timing. You could never make him happy it seemed.

We would get into verbal altercations with thim all of the time but I loved the guy when I didn't have to play with him. I'm really glad I don't play with him any more.

There were a few of us that felt like punching him in the mouth more than once. Even at church...Sad.

6. dukaruk

dukaruk

Mar 12, 2008
    Saint Louis, MO
    I'm much more impressed by someone who doesn't have to spell out why they are good. I would rather play with an eager beginner than someone who doesn't prepare and talks a bunch of crap.

7. casualmadness

casualmadness Man About Town Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2005
    I played with a guitar player like that once. He was great when he played on his own but as soon as he stepped into a band, he was terrible. The problem? His timing. He was early/late on everything. Everyone in the band knew it but he would lose his mind when any of us said anything. He would insist that we were all off on the timing. Eventually we asked him to pack up and go. Problem solved.

8. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Acting like that in a church band? Talk about not checking the ego at the door!

9. In church, I would think a crucifixion would be more appropriate.;)

10. My experience with solo artists has been pretty consistent with this. They don't really try to play "with" the band...they try to continue doing their own "one man band" thing and expect everyone else to follow along on the fly. I hate that.

11. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I'd take a mediocre musician who's open to learn over an egotistical virtuoso who can't mesh with other band members ANY DAY!

12. No kidding! Sounds like he needs to remember where he is and who he is ultimately supposed to be playing for!

13. The worst band I played had the most talented guitarist,he was so hot and cold and never played the same thing twice which really sucked when you are a cover band.
    I am the newer guy to the scene and I love it,I have enough skill to get into the auditions and land the job but then I get to challenge myself to get up to speed and learn all that I can.
    The best band that I have settled into has just basic solid players,well except for some drummer issues but that is another story.

14. Punch him? Hate? hmm... I get being frustrated by people's attitudes, but there seems to be an ironic quality to a threat about a church band and the resulting feelings of violence and hatred...

Bless your heart, of course... :rollno:

15. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    One of the great joys of not playing music as a profession is that I can easily choose not to play with jerks. Life is too short, and there are way too many talented human beings out there.

16. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    His post-playing compliment may have been attempt at contrition considering the possible embarrassment of having the worship leader remove you from the set.

17. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Some people don't understand how to actively listen.

18. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Just let him keep playing badly and don't say anything~ eventually he will get hit by a lightning bolt.
    guitarlightning.jpg

19. billhilly66

billhilly66

Aug 25, 2007
    Plano, TX
    That would save the 20 pieces of silver they were going to pay him.

20. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Not at church, but many times I've played with people who usually play solo that drop or add a beat or two. It's fairly common. A "pro" shouldn't have the problem, but I imagine many do. As you get better you learn to hear it faster and make the time adjustment so your "ones" land together again. It's not "free and easy" fun, but being able to do it quickly and seamlessly does engender a certain amount of pride - you found it and fixed it and they never even heard it.

KO

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021