some people never cease to amaze me!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Fer anyone interested, this is gonna be a long one. It's an update on the soap opera of the cover band I was in.

Short story of what happened. After 2 yrs of playing with these guys the leader of the band started threatening to replace me if I didn't do everything he said. I quit. He freaked, begged me to play a handful of gigs and made me some promises if I did. To end things on a good note I agreed - he went back on every agreement and pormise he made. 2 weeks later he threw the guitarist (Ernie) out who supported the band, and gave him 150% of himself because he was offered and opportunity to play more gigs if he took on a certain other member.

Lots of gory details I'm leaving out. Basically this guy is a lowlife. Couple of months pass, they're outta my life, all is well.

Things start to fall apart on the band leader. He starts trying to coerce me into coming back. Out of sheer desperation for money, I'm almost willing to play a handful of gigs. The guitarist who was thrown out finds out about this and offers to pay me for the gigs if I never play with him a gain (the guitarist is very wealthy). After much struggle with my conscience - I agree and take the money. It's added insurance for me that I'll never play with this guy again.

Now Phil (I'll give the lowlife a name) is really desperate and doing everything in his power to get me to play. Last night we got into words and I had to tell him as clearly as I could that I would never work again with him. He's out for himself and could care less about any kind of loyalty to band members, their feelings, etc. Too much stuff went on to put here. Wanna note too that he's trying to get the original drummer back also (he's the nerve drummer) and really trying to get between us and him. He kept trying to get me to say that if we were offered a record deal on the basis that we got rid of our drummer, that we'd do it. We wouldn't.

Anyhow - he just sent me and email and it's got my blood going, as stupid as it is. I need to not write back - I think that's why I'm venting here. Here's the email.....

Joe ...
    After talkin to you last night,
    I had to drop you a line to say just one thing.
    Here it is ...

If what you said to me last night about
    turnin down a record deal is true, then i accept that
    maybe I AM the DIFFERENT ONE ... the WRONG ONE.
    Cause ERNIE said it too ... that he could be a MILLIONAIRE
    today and he's not ... due to loyalty to his company.
    Personally, I that that you're both FULL OF ****,
    but i'll accept what you're saying as true and AGAIN say

But there is one thing that I'm NOT wrong about,
    and your version of REALITY is f**kin HYSTERICAL ...

When you said that I'm enjoying all of this success now, (note: I never said that.)
    after "you guys were the ones who got me there" ...

Are you crazy ???
    Monti's Crew was a "mediocre band" ... at best"
    and we went "nowhere" ... "nowhere"!

The Rumrats
    are "where they are" because of the "players that surround me".
    That's reality ...plain and simple ... people dig THIS BAND!
    They did'nt dig Monti's Crew!

I was told "point blank"...
    to change the band members ... and things would happen.

You guys are grown men , and ya cant even acknolwedge that.
    Even when i was a teenager, i always was able to look at others and say
    "Wow ... those guys rock ... that drummer, that singer wails, he destroys me!"
    "Hey Stu ... that guitarist is kickin your ass!"

In your head ...
    you HONESTLY believe that the "Ernie, Joe, Santo" Version
    is as Strong as this current lineup (note:I never said THAT either) ... and that is LAUGHABLE.

I also am THE ONLY ONE who is MAN ENOUGH to acknowledge that too!

Good Luck Going NOWHERE !!!
    I applaud your integrity ... ALL THE WAY TO THE POOR HOUSE!

This is the LAST TIME that you will ever hear from me ...
    and THAT'S A PROMISE ...
  2. It reads like something straight out of a Spinal Tap movie.:)
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  4. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Stay away!

If he's got paying gigs, he should be able to find someone, unless he turns everyone off as soon as he speaks.:eek:

The cover band scene can get pretty cut-throat around here. I moved to NJ almost a year ago and played with a lot of people before I found a good band. Lots of timewasters on HC and the MODE!
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

Say NO to drugs...
  7. No amount of money could possibly be worth playing with a head case like that. That is beyond dysfunctional. Run! Run far, far away!
  8. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    people pay me not to play. but....i don't think its the same.

what a dork. i'd stay in touch, personally, as people like this always self destruct, and i like to be there. and the greatest consolation is that, even if dude was to become a millionaire, he'd still be himself.
  9. that gave me some good entertainment for a good while :D
  10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Hey, at least he promised to never talk to you again :rolleyes: Hope he keeps that one :D
  11. Lipis Roman

Lipis Roman

Mar 5, 2002
    Pretty lame thing to have to go through, but atleast it's over now.

Onward and upward bro. :)
  12. Blux

Feb 5, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    hey, Joe. Where are you going with that gun in your hand?

Joe, you are too good to put up with that ****. I, too, hope he keeps his promise.
  13. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I definatley think this Phil guy is in music for all of the wrong reasons. I love getting paid from playing gigs, but that just seems to be this guys goal with music: To make as much money as possible. And that brings up another interesting point, why's he talking about getting a record deal when you guys are a cover band?

My advice to you Joe, start another cover band with Ernie and your drummer and blow Phil off the stage.

We should merge this thread with Hategear's old "Mother-in-law" thread. That would be great fun. :D
  14. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    He's talking about The Nerve getting a record deal. That's my heart and soul. I was doing the cover thing cuz I thought it would be a fun way to earn some money :eek: !!!!

Also, he HAS already called our drummer today to start the fireworks going. This guy is evil. I'm really concerned about Phil getting between us and our drummer, but I gotta let it go. My guess is he wants him to be totally available for him (as he's having problems with his present drummer also), and will do anything in his power to get him where he wants to. He's a very manipulative pain in the ass, and people often give in to him sometimes just to shut him up.

Phil is goig to self destruct very soon. I feel it coming. He's gong ballistic right now because he 't get ME to do what he wants me too.

Ohhhh... the soap operas. I swear I love this drama stuff. One day I'm gonna grow up and this kinda stuff won't effect anymore. Maybe ;) .
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well Joe, Phil's dorkiness notwithstanding, I wouldn't call your acceptance of a bribe not to play with him the pinnacle of integrity. There's more than one loser in this story.
  16. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I hear ya. I had a real battle with that. Both these guys are a little hard to deal with with and the guitarist (who paid me) made it clear that he'd be really upset if I played, and that giving me the money was absolutely not a problem. The guy buys $2000 guitars every month, and throws lots and lots of money away. Anyhow - I agreed to take the money, and after agreeing and hanging up the phone felt really crappy about it. I called him back and told him I wasn't going to take the money, nor play. He put a check in my mailbox. I sat on the check for a while, then NEEDED to cash it. I spoke with him several times about it and he claims to be happy about it. It gives me insurance for NOT playing with the other guy, so I'm happy about that.

Deep inside I'm not OK with cashing the check, but I was desperate. If I have the opportunity to pay him back, I plan to, and that's the truth.
  17. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Joe, make sure you talk to your drummer about your concerns. Try to understand his priorities, so everyone's on the same page.
  18. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    joe, your dad is bigger than his dad...

word. :D

but mine will beat them both ;)
  19. Joe:

Been following the RumRats thing for a while - band politics are very interesting. Isn't Phil the "hair technician"? Has he offered you free highlighting if you come back and play? :D

Now for some NY/NJ questions:

- is the Monti in Phil's e-mail the same guy from Dog Voices? or is that a different person altogether?

- Saw that RumRats are playing Casey O'toole's in Wayne in a week or 2 - I take it you won't be there? Is that gig in jeopardy now? I know a band who could fill in pronto :p

From what you relay about this guy - it seems like you DON'T need insurance NOT to play with him. If your drummer is relatively sane, he will think the same way.
  20. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    >Is that gig in jeopardy now? I know a band who could fill in pronto

I told you the cover band scene is cutthroat around here!:eek:

If you send a list of all the clubs he plays, I'll send my press kit to all of 'em too. Nothing like a little competition to make the difficult people see that they're not as hot as they think. :D