1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Some people said I should be a luthier...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ndrly, Aug 5, 2007.

1. I've actually come up with good ideas for effects pedals and stuff. I told my guitar teacher about how I'd like to have a whammy pedal that could be programmed by the user. And he said "You should take a luthier's course."

Well, I can come up with some good ideas. I'm not too sure about actually building the damn things...

2. T2W

T2W

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    Architects are good at designing houses, yet some might never even have picked up a hammer. If you have good ideas and on top of that you are able to build nice instruments, you are definitely on the right path. Try it out. I had the Idea of incorporating a wireless system in my Basses, no battery pack, no jack, just an extra switch.... havent tried it yet though. Peace.

3. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    That is where it starts. Read books on the subject. Hang out in music stores and study the instruments. If there is a class(es) available take it. Instrument design and construction is a fascinating study. OTOH, however rewarding it is from a personal satisfaction standpoint, luthiery is not known for it's financial rewards. It is a business like any other and as such a thorough grounding in business concepts like marketing, accounting, and finance are essential for success.

4. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    just go for a try, post your stuff on TB and the fair public comments will justify your teacher's word of appreciation.

5. Well, get this...

I'd like to custom order a Warwick Streamer LX with a basswood body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, and EMG pickups/electronics.

6. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Well, first of all, a luthiery course won't help you at all in making pedals.

Just doing a google search will turn up tons of information of designing and building pedals and the like. Other than that, what are you trying to get at with this thread?

7. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    :eyebrow:
    Congratulations! You just confused the hell out of me.:D

8. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    ndrly,

Having great ideas and imagination is only one part of any creative pursuit.
    But a great writer once said, "Painters paint, writers write." Well luthiers build. Maybe you will be a good luthier. But no one, including yourself will ever know until you start building instruments.
    Peace

9. +1

10. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    The poster is trying to show us that he has good ideas...I think.
    :meh:

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    FWIW, luthiers design and build guitars. Electrical engineers (or people with a lot of time on their hands) design and build pedals. If you're interested in one or the other you might want to figure out exactly what you're going study lest you dive in only to be surprised by the curriculum. ;)

12. sounds like some electronics courses would be more helpful, unless you wanna built a swamp ash, burled poplar-top stompbox.

13. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    so how are your interest and skills in woodworking? all you have noted so far is an interest and ability for electrical/electronics design and manufacturing - a skill needed in luthery, but a significantly less dominant skill than that of highly skilled woodworking

if you don't have a passion for woodworking, and instead are head over heels for pedal design/manufacture ... the luthery trade may not be your thing whereas a trade in electrical/electronics would be

for the record: according to Rick Turner, assembling instruments from pre-made parts you purchase does not equate to one being a luthier. a instrument builder, yes, but not a luthier. to be a true artisan luthier one must be able to craft instruments from properly selected rough lumber; hence my question about your interest and skills in woodworking

all the best,

R

14. sounds like you might wanna look for another teacher too.

15. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio, Epifani
    I wouldn't mind having a sawmp ash/burled poplar stomp box. I would put it on top of my Leslie for all the world to see.

16. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    "...to be a true artisan luthier one must be able to craft instruments from properly selected rough lumber..."

Well said.