1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Some (personal) lame thoughts about KNOWER

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Whousedtoplay, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    N.B. To my regret, due to some lame "kitchen-talk" wording, a good thread was temporary suspended

Don Kasper wrote,
    "I'm an Old Fart, and I Like this A LOT," about KNOWER'S "Overtime".

KNOWER has a lot of elements of Techno and/or Trance, which, could(!) mean that Don attends some Rave (for young people) parties where that music is prevalent. :bassist: :laugh:
    If so, Don cannot be an Old Fart. :rollno:

Now, I've checked some other KNOWER songs. Here is my short summary.
    KNOWER as a GROUP of very talented and rhythmically-advanced musicians with LOTS of musical harmony/theory knowledge, tends to incorporate some Techno/Trance music elements mixed with young and very energetic, and technically complex rhythmic patterns (foundation). The bass lines are, more or less, synth-bass oriented, that's why we hear those staccato notes.

Here is one of them.

Here is more of their Techno music
    (Synth-oriented bass-line.)

Here is the same version live.
    With a cool bass player following the Synth-bass oriented bass line.

As we can see, we have a lot of technically expressed and rhythmically-squeezed bass notes. COOL.:thumbsup:
    But...

Let's check a slow song from the same album.

(WHERE IS THAT TECHNICAL OR JUST, OVERALL, LIVE BASS?)

And now my lame, amateur pop musicians conclusion.

WHERE ARE CATCHY MELODIES?

Technically sophisticated rhythmic patterns, harmonic intricacies but where are MELODIES to remember?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Why are melodies important to you? I have a hard time imagining them being your ultimate yardstick by which music must be measured. If so, what's your take on avantgarde music, atonal compositions like Wozzeck etc?

MattZilla likes this.
  3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Are we discussing whether this music is good or popular (or capable of popularity)? Rap isn't very heavy on melody and seems popular.

MattZilla likes this.
  4. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    Serve the song - Melody

IamGroot likes this.
  5. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    Is Music only(!) as some technically complex rhythmic pattern?
    Rap (in my music world) falls into the “poetry (colloquial singing, rhythmic talking) category, which has Less to do with musical side of it, and More to do with lyrics, words’ meaning.
    I don’t care about it’s popularity.
    Also, I totally don’t care who is and who’s not in some Hall of Fame list.
    It’s only my personal opinion.
    I can only talk about the musical side of a song because I don’t understand some words, slang, etc...used in Rap, but...
    I like it alot some rhythmically interesting Rapping compositions.

6. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    That "butts" song is annoying, repetitive nonsense. I don't care what they play or how well they play it. But if you enjoy it, go for it.

7. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    I gave it a shot because I will always listen to something I've never heard before but, that stuff is total crap. Crap I say. And that is my lame thought on Knower..

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  8. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue Secretly Queen of the Moon Supporting Member

They look like they have fun doing what they do, regardless of the pizza factor.

The sound isn’t my scene, but the attitude definitely is. I wouldn’t pop these tracks on in my car, but if they found me on a dance floor, they’d make my night.

That’s probably what they’re going for anyway- irreverent, self-aware dance fuel.

--^@

MattZilla likes this.
  9. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    Those are pretty serious charges/accusations.:roflmao:

Datsgor and MattZilla like this.
  10. JLW

JLW

Dec 5, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    The singer is by far the weakest link in the chain of that band. That's probably why the melodies lack complexity.

11. PaulCISSA

PaulCISSA It don't mean a thing if you ain't got that swing. Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vernon, New Jersey
    As we would say in the automotive business, “there’s an ass for every seat”. Just pick your favorite color. I don’t see music or composition any differently. There’s no “yardstick “.

12. If you can play it, you are entitled to an opinion including crapping on it. If you cant play it, chill.

I actually studied rap and hip hop, because its an essential style. But the absence of melody makes it go stale quickly.