Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some pics of my refinishing project (in progress)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nate Dawg, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Just thought I'd share some shots of my refinishing project. Here's a collage I put together that shows my progress as of today:

[​IMG]

1) The original paint job. The bass was refinshed in 1975 (according to the decal on the head). I don't know what brand of bass it is, but I defretted it and then decided that I'd rather have a fretted neck and use it as a backup to my Kingston. Doh!
    What you can't see in the photo is the number of chips and cracks in the finish which prompted me to take on this project. It seemed like every time I played it I found a new chip.

2) After stripping the paint with a chemical stripper (Bix Heavy Duty Spray-On), this is the lovely color I found beneath it. Metallic Pink. Almost like Pepto-Bismol. And worse yet, it was a poly finish, which means I had to use Aircraft Stripper to get it off. You can see the huge crack which went through the top layer of wood. Fun stuff.

3 and 4) After scraping and sanding, I applied a few coats of Vinyl Sealer to give it an even base. What an ugly chunk of wood. I also patched the cracks and a few low spots where I sanded out some gouges with wood filler. You can see the green in the control cavity from my botched first attempt with the wrong paint. Won't make that mistake again...

5) A shot of my work area. It's actually the back room at the Sherwin-Williams I work at. I don't own a fork lift, although that would be pretty damn cool.

6) Primer. BIN's Pigmented Shellac. I think this was after the second or third coat. I then sanded it with 220 and wet sanded with 400. It's very smooth now and I think I got out all the blemishes.

7) I recieved the pickguard I ordered from Warmoth today. 72 Tele style guard made to fit a P. I drilled the holes in the body for it and routed the holes in the guard for the pots. It should look sweet with the fretted Jazz replacement neck I got for Christmas (also a Warmoth).

So that's where I'm at today. I'm currently waiting for my paint and clear coat to arrive from Reranch.com. Should be here by the end of the week. The final color with be Sea Foam Green with a few coats of clear nitro over it. I'm entering the most important (read: time consuming) step, so I suspect that it won't be finished for at least another month. 2 weeks before final polishing and another 2 weeks before reassembly so the lacquer can cure properly.

Whew! That was long. Expect more pictures in about a week.

2. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    looks great, definantly an improvement. Good luck with the rest.

3. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I got a can of sea foam green and 3 cans of clearcoat from Reranch.com yesterday, so here's what I did last night and this morning. The clear starts going on tomorrow. That solid color nitrocellulose lacquer is the best paint in a spray can that I've ever used, hands down. It went on very well and it's almost impossible to get a run in it.

[​IMG]

I can't wait to finish this thing. I'm thinking it may become my main bass if it sounds decent with the new neck. :eek:

4. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    Man, that's gonna look great. Good choice on the pickguard. :)

5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    That pickguard is gorgeous! I really like the look of that bass. Quite a beauty you got there!

6. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    I feel the same way. Kinda looks like the old Ibanez Musicians.

7. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Those flaws you see in the natural wood are about 60% of what was wrong with it. There was a spot about 3 inches long on the side where a knot had been filled at the factory and then covered with sanding sealer. You can't see it in these photos.

I would have loved to found a nice piece of wood under all that paint. As it is, that top (maple?) on it isn't too bad. But there were too many flaws to fix.

Anybody have an ideas as to what the darker wood is? I'm not very familiar with wood types (yet).

8. Look's Great!

Where did you get info to make it?

9. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Almost all the info I used can be found at www.reranch.com and the message board there. It walks you through the entire process.

10. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Here's the finished product. One month and about $200 later:

[​IMG]

I received the BADASS bridge today and strung it up. It still needs to be setup, but this the final product.

Here's a shot of the decal I put on the headstock (my name):

[​IMG]

11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Ooooh, Kenny likes the basic idea - reminds me of the Addams Family. Mind if I steal the layout? I have a P that I'm slowly building, and I think nekkid headstocks look weird.

12. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Go right ahead. :D

13. Looks grrrreat!!! :rolleyes: :D

Nice work!

:cool: