Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

some power amp questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davidoc, May 16, 2002.

1. Does anyone know how much it would cost to service a faulty poweramp?

Also, does anyone know how to put wires in binding posts? I've heard about side holes, but I can't find them on my amp.

Are banana plugs unsafe? There's a little bit of wire hanging out of each plug conector (i've reinserted and reinserted, but always some wire sticking out. I'm thinking of covering the thing with electrical tape. Bad idea?

To my understanding, both channels are hot when bridging two amps. If this is the case, would quarter inch plugs prove a shock hazard? With the ground on the metal outside of plugs, would it zap you if you touched the outside?

Thanks!

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Davy, did you try unscrewing the binding posts' barrels part way to open up access to the side holes?

3. All the way actually... How big are these holes? Hmm I don't know where their hiding.:( Are they supposed to be on the area blocked when the posts are screwed in? Thanks.

4. I know this seems annoying, but I know some of you cans can help me out with at least one of these questions.

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Davy, that's like asking "How long is a piece of string?" It depends on what's wrong with it and who's fixing it. It might be $15, it might be $75, it might be $200.

I don't know what you mean by "a little bit of wire hanging out," so it's impossible to know whether you've done it right. Covering up any exposed conductors is not a bad idea.

It could. Sometimes people use 1/4" inline jacks and plugs on a bridged amp and they're not careful--the barrel sometimes ends up shorting to the equipment rack, to a metal grounded doorframe or floor, etc. Another reason I'm no fan of using 1/4" connectors for speaker-level signals.

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Big enough to stick 7-gauge wire into. Or even a banana plug.

Yes.

7. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    hmmm, are you thinking of using 1/4" plugs with the metal housing on the outside to bridge amps?

would spade connectors that go over the binding posts and are screwed down be one of the recommended safe connections for bridging amps ?