Some Precision Vintage Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lazlo Panaflex, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    Im shopping right now for a new bass, and its between a 1975 fender jazz and a precision. I love the precision tone, BUT i dont like how thick the necks are.

So basically, is there any year that the precision necks were made smaller?

Also Since i have a stingray what would best be the opposite of the sound i already posses? A jazz or precision?

Sorry newb questions, still learning :)
  2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Get the P. Chunky necks rule. :bassist: [​IMG]

And I think the P will more versatility against the stingray.
  3. I know there was a half-year (early 70's) when they made Precisions with Jazz necks. Nate Mendel (Foo Fighters, Sunny Day Real Estate) has one of those, it's the red one with the cat sticker.
  4. Precisions have always been known for chunky necks. In the mid to late 70's , when just about everyone was playing P's , it was pretty much standard operating procedure to replace the P neck with a J neck.I am not familiar with what they did with P's in the 80's to present , siince I had my pre - EB Music Man Sabre by then........BTW , how's the SVT sounding ??? Kirk
  5. In the 70's the Precisions were available with a narrow neck option. I believe it was referred to as Option A. Note this was an option, not all 70's P-basses had the narrow neck, only a very few...such as my '78. I saw an early 70's in Gruhn Guitars that also had the narrow neck option. So Fender did give us a choice.
  6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Precision necks have been made in three widths: A, B, and C. I'm not an expert on the history, but I think the C width was first, at 1-3/4" wide. I don't know when the B width, 1-5/8", was introduced, but I'm pretty sure it was before 1970, so 70's Precisions and following are mostly B's. As has been pointed out, the A neck which is 1-1/2" wide has been an option in the past, so there are some out there.

In the current lineup, the only Precision I know of that has an A neck is the MIM Precision Special, which has a P-J pickup arrangement.

A necks can be pretty thick front to back, they're just narrower side-to-side. Oh, and the measurements listed above are taken at the nut.
  7. Originally, P's were 1 3/4" at the nut, J's 1 1/2".

(A)-1 1/2"
    (B)-1 5/8"
    (C)-1 3/4"
    (D)-1 7/8"

Fender has different profiles, including the "U", "soft V", "hard V", "oval", "flattened oval", and "round" styles, you will have to look for them but they are available used!

8. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    the new American Series P Basses have a slightly smaller, easier to get around on neck while maintaining that P Bass sound. they are pretty nice P basses