1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Some questions about active and passive basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thepeachmode, Jun 12, 2007.

1. thepeachmode

thepeachmode

Jun 11, 2007
    What is the difference between an active bass and passive bass,can it make a difference for a starter who wants to play rock or hard rock like me ? And which one is better Cort gb34a or Washburn xb100?

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Simple stuff. Active basses have a preamp installed in the bass with a battery. Lets you adjust bass, treble, and sometimes mids right on the bass. Passive usually have just volume and sometimes a tone control

Rob

3. thepeachmode

thepeachmode

Jun 11, 2007
    Hmm if u are right I can change the trebble , bass and etc. on the amp... Am I right? So the active isn't so necessary... And I'm repeating which one is better Washburn x100 or Cort gb34a??

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi

Sure. But dont u think it would be easier to change it on your bass as you gig? Thats the point

Rob

5. hi, i prefer the simplicity and sound of a passive bass with a moderately flat amp EQ, but an advantage of going active is getting a likable tone on the instrument to be mobile to other amps/rigs/etc. (get your tone at the instrument, not the amp)

6. I have always used active basses because I like to boost certain frequencies when I solo or take more of a lead during songs. I can do it from my bass with plenty o' control and don't need to rely on the soundman. I can also set the output to be even among my other basses.

7. Both of my basses, one of which is the Washburn XB100 are passive. I use a Zoom B1x multi effects pedal for EQ. I can only speak to the Washburn. Black mahogany wood, one volume, one tone. I have had it for over 2 years..no problems. I've lowered the action and replaced the strings. That's all it needed for my taste. Very good beginner bass.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021