Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some questions about Aero pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Basschair, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I'm considering Aero series K pickups for my next bass (6 string fretless), and am wondering a few things...

First off, anyone put these (or other Aero models) in their builds or use them as replacements? Any issues that you came across which others (such as me :D ) should be aware of? What did you think of how the pup matched your bass tone-wise (a very loaded question, I know)?

Second, I've read that the Aguilar obp-3 has matched well with these. Again, can anyone verify or contradict this?

Feel free to give your general thoughts on Aero pickups.

Thanks for your help!

-bc-

2. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I put a (standard) set of Aero's into my 4 string Jazz and I am very happy with them. No problems at all as far as installation/performance. I love how they sound. My J is a parts bass with a one-piece Koa body (bought from DiMarzio in the 80's) and a Warmoth Padauk neck with an Ebony board.

When I spoke to Larry at Aero and told him I wanted to use them with a J-Retro he advised against it. He said no pre's give a true bypass and it would affect the sound of the pickups - they're designed to go passive.

I put them in with the J-Retro and wasn't really thrilled. Now, this is a great unit and many people get results they like - I read about it and that's why I tried it. Eventually I took the Retro out, wired them passive and never looked back. They are awesome!! I currently have them wired with concentric Vol/Tone on each and a push/pull Master Volume that switches them series/parallel.

You'll only know by trial whether the OBP-3 works for you with these pickups. I have one in another bass (with a passive P/MM setup) and I like it a lot. Either way, the Aero's are outstanding IMO and you won't be disappointed with them.

3. mark roberts

mark roberts Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    The OBP-3 works great with my Aero PJ's...albeit, these PJ's are custom designed for a single course 8-string...Larry posted the P/U's on his page at the site. I'm a fan of Aero P/U's . I have dual coils in my 7 and will have a custom MM in my 9 that Chris Stambaugh is building right now. I'm using Bart pre's in those, however. Note: OBP-3 with single coil design, Bart with dual or more coil design.