Some questions about Aero pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Basschair, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I'm considering Aero series K pickups for my next bass (6 string fretless), and am wondering a few things...

First off, anyone put these (or other Aero models) in their builds or use them as replacements? Any issues that you came across which others (such as me :D ) should be aware of? What did you think of how the pup matched your bass tone-wise (a very loaded question, I know)?

Second, I've read that the Aguilar obp-3 has matched well with these. Again, can anyone verify or contradict this?

Feel free to give your general thoughts on Aero pickups.

Thanks for your help!

2. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I put a (standard) set of Aero's into my 4 string Jazz and I am very happy with them. No problems at all as far as installation/performance. I love how they sound. My J is a parts bass with a one-piece Koa body (bought from DiMarzio in the 80's) and a Warmoth Padauk neck with an Ebony board.

When I spoke to Larry at Aero and told him I wanted to use them with a J-Retro he advised against it. He said no pre's give a true bypass and it would affect the sound of the pickups - they're designed to go passive.

I put them in with the J-Retro and wasn't really thrilled. Now, this is a great unit and many people get results they like - I read about it and that's why I tried it. Eventually I took the Retro out, wired them passive and never looked back. They are awesome!! I currently have them wired with concentric Vol/Tone on each and a push/pull Master Volume that switches them series/parallel.

You'll only know by trial whether the OBP-3 works for you with these pickups. I have one in another bass (with a passive P/MM setup) and I like it a lot. Either way, the Aero's are outstanding IMO and you won't be disappointed with them.
  3. mark roberts

mark roberts Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    The OBP-3 works great with my Aero PJ's...albeit, these PJ's are custom designed for a single course 8-string...Larry posted the P/U's on his page at the site. I'm a fan of Aero P/U's . I have dual coils in my 7 and will have a custom MM in my 9 that Chris Stambaugh is building right now. I'm using Bart pre's in those, however. Note: OBP-3 with single coil design, Bart with dual or more coil design.