some questions about carvin necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mlwarriner, Jan 1, 2005.

1. mlwarriner

mlwarriner Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    so i'm buying a bass body off of ebay, and i want to make it into a whole bass (obviously), and i'm considering my options when it comes to necks. the builder says his neck pockets are routed to standard fender specs. my questions are:

1. how does the heel size on a carvin neck compare to fender std. sizes? they sell a neck plate that they say is a direct fit for fender basses as well, so this makes me wonder about their neck pockets.

2. how do carvin necks compare to the likes of warmoth necks? i know that warmoth builds their necks to std. fender heel specs, but what about overall quality? is the warmoth worth the extra $50 or so?

3. are all the custom neck options that you can get when you buy a whole bass available if you buy just a neck? specifically, i would like to get block inlays as opposed to dots.

any and all input is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

:bassist:

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Warmoth necks are very, very high quality. Plus, the options you can choose are spectacular -- right down to the size of the fretwire.

3. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Carvin necks don't fit Fender-style neck pockets. I gave up on a Carvin neck for my JB copy so I'll go with Stewart-McDonald instead. Nothing against Carvin: I have a Carvin LB20 that I wouldn't part with. But S-M is very high quality, and in my experience they offer very good service. http://www.stewmac.com/