some questions about carvin necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mlwarriner, Jan 1, 2005.

1. mlwarriner

mlwarriner Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    so i'm buying a bass body off of ebay, and i want to make it into a whole bass (obviously), and i'm considering my options when it comes to necks. the builder says his neck pockets are routed to standard fender specs. my questions are:

1. how does the heel size on a carvin neck compare to fender std. sizes? they sell a neck plate that they say is a direct fit for fender basses as well, so this makes me wonder about their neck pockets.

2. how do carvin necks compare to the likes of warmoth necks? i know that warmoth builds their necks to std. fender heel specs, but what about overall quality? is the warmoth worth the extra $50 or so?

3. are all the custom neck options that you can get when you buy a whole bass available if you buy just a neck? specifically, i would like to get block inlays as opposed to dots.

any and all input is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Warmoth necks are very, very high quality. Plus, the options you can choose are spectacular -- right down to the size of the fretwire.
  3. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Carvin necks don't fit Fender-style neck pockets. I gave up on a Carvin neck for my JB copy so I'll go with Stewart-McDonald instead. Nothing against Carvin: I have a Carvin LB20 that I wouldn't part with. But S-M is very high quality, and in my experience they offer very good service.