1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Some questions about G&L L-2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ComputerPhantom, Nov 20, 2005.

1. ComputerPhantom

ComputerPhantom

Nov 20, 2005
    Brazil
    Hi, I m a new user from Brazil. I m thinking about buy a Rickenbacker 4003 or a G&L L-2000. The Rickenbacker is an exelent Bass, but what about the G&L2000? I ve heard some problems problems in L-2000 such as the shielding, the access to replace the batery and warp in the neck. Someone won the L-2000 or have used it? What do you think about? Thanks

2. ComputerPhantom

ComputerPhantom

Nov 20, 2005
    Brazil
    Up

3. Sheilding, some may need to be sheided...

Access to battery? A screwdriver is not that big of a deal, plus it can be run with a dead battery in passive.

Warp in the neck? Never seen/heard of one.

4. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Bemvindo!!

I have had 5 different L-2000's and still have one in natural with a jazz neck and ebony board as my main bass. My basses have been from 1982 to 2004.....

Shielding has been a problem on ONLY one of the 90's basses and it was quickly cured/repaired

All necks have been 100% stable - much more so than my Fenders (had 3 Fender jazz necks with problems)

G&L's are all very well made with great finishes

I have owned only 2 Rickenbackers and enjoyed them BUT for me they do not have the versatility of a G&L L-2000. The G&L has a phenomenal range of sounds.

I would suggest a visit to the Dudepit G&l thread (moderator -hope this is OK) at http://www.vintagebass.com/thedudepit/forumdisplay.php?f=45 where you will get all your questions answered expertly.

G&L is a very fine product and the L-2000 is a wonderful bass but it is a very different animal than a Rick.

Good shopping. All the best

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a 1981 L2000E fretless that I bought new way back then. I've never had an issue with it. It's an awesome player, great in your hands, with a wide palette of great tones. I recently bought a 2000-ish L2500 "Tribute" series (non-usa made) G&L, and it's very nice as well. I got it used on ebay for $299 to my door, a great bargain. I find it every bit as nice as the American made G&L asfter I spent some time on setup. I know of no neck issues with G&L, buy with confidence.

6. No problems with my 98 L-2000.

:D

7. ComputerPhantom

ComputerPhantom

Nov 20, 2005
    Brazil
    Thanks. And what about the finish, the builty? \,,/

8. Finish on all mine is awesome. They are built to last a long time!

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

G&L has some Beautiful Finishes!

10. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    yup, G&L. its great. sounds as good as a rick but with more options.

11. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    My 1983 L2000 is sweet...absolutely no problems. I love it. Without a doubt one of the most versatile, well built basses I've ever played.

I also want a 4003, but out of the ones i've tried I like the way my L2000 plays better.

12. ComputerPhantom

ComputerPhantom

Nov 20, 2005
    Brazil
    How many pieces of wood the body is made? It s a high end bass? Thanks :bassist:

13. Of course it's a high-end bass, my friend...