1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Some questions about orchestral auditions

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by bopeuph, Apr 2, 2009.

1. bopeuph

bopeuph

Jul 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Being a jazz bass player, auditions aren't that big a deal. I have done many professional auditions for brass instruments, so I know for the most part what to expect. But I have a few questions pertaining the bass:

1.) How does it work for a stool? Do you bring your own, or do they supply it for you?

2.) My bass doesn't have a C-extension, and I see lots of section players in many orchestras that go without. What's the typical way to play excerpts they may ask that go lower than E? Up an octave? Or with fast runs, do you just omit the low notes?

Just some questions until I get another lesson.

Nick

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    1.) Bring your own stool.

2.) Transpose the low notes up in a logical way.

3. bopeuph

bopeuph

Jul 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks. Listening to some bassists play excerpts on a standard tuning bass is helping make sense of it, too.

Nick

4. Listening to other bass players playing excerpts is helpful to some degree. It is also helpful to me to listen to the whole ensemble - get a few good recordings of whatever you're working on, and be aware of what else is happening. Compare things like tempos and dynamics. For fast stuff like the last movements of Mozart 35 and 40, don't try to take it as fast as you will hear on recordings by Toscanini or even Bernstein -just play things as fast as you can make it sound good.

Most players who sit get used to the size, shape, height of the rungs, etc. on their own stools, so yes, most people bring their own stools to an audition. Music is often provided, but it is a good idea to have your own with you. And yes, usually notes that go lower than the low E can be transposed up an octave without a lot of hassle.

5. bopeuph

bopeuph

Jul 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks. One more question:

What about my quiver and pickup? Should I take those off?

Nick

6. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    yes, you should