Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some questions on preamps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ThePaste, Feb 5, 2001.

1. Can you use a guitar pre-amp for bass? I think you can becuase Les Claypool uses an ADA MP-2. But why? Is it safe and all that?

Also, can you use a preamp for a headphone amp?

Someone please bestow their infinite knowledge on me.

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I'm pretty sure you can use a guitar preamp with a bass and not damage anything. The thing you have to worry about is using your bass through guitar speakers. They just aren't made to handle the low frequencies.

Lots of preamps nowadays have headphone out jacks, so you could use headphones through those. But if you try to plug your headphones into the line level output of your preamp I doubt you would hear anything.

But don't trust what I say because I don't know what I'm talking about.

3. Is anyone SURE. Anyways thanks for the reply Ham.

4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    You can use ANY musical instrument preamp with your bass and the appropriate power amp. The only real differences are typically the EQ points which are optimized for bass frequencies as opposed to guitar/keyboard/etc. freqs.

Those guitar preamps with effects will likely also be optimized for guitar frequencies, just as you will find "chorus pedals" and "bass chorus pedals" which are tailored for the instrument intended.

The only potential incompatibility would be a guitar preamp with a highly sensitive front end and no pad, which you might overload with an active bass' hotter output.

But you won't break anything.

5. Ok thanks to both of you, I understand it now. Isn't this board great??

6. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    If memory serves, I think preamp out, effects send and headphone out jacks all put out signal at roughly the same level, though headphone outs might be a little bit louder and hotter. If there's no headphone jack on the preamp you may simply be able to use the preamp out or effects send jack.