Some Rack Questions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Aug 21, 2002.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hey guys, I was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me.

First, I'm looking in a Musicians Friend on page 15 (the isssue with the Pro Audio and DJ specials) and they have two models of racks. The first are just called "Rack Cases" and you can buy a 10 space for $200. The next are called Roto-Molded Racks and you can get a 12 space for $120. Okay, the major question is, what is the difference between these two rack models. How come the rack with less space is more money and do you think the rack that has less space but for more money is of better "quality" than the other.

Second, I was thinking of the 12 space. But do you think that's overkill. Probaly the first two things going in it are going to be a Pre and a Power Amp. Then maybe eventually a Tuner. Those are the main concerns right now, but I don't want to put something else in and find that I don't have room. Espcially since I'll probaly be skipping a space for both amps.

And about how much does an empty rack wieght?

Thanks for your input. :)
  2. They have good inexpensive rack cases at

They are basically the same thing as a basic rack case, just cheaper.

No, I'd rather have the extra space just in case. You may want to upgrade your pre or power amp, and it would take up more space, or maybe add some rack effects and other fun stuff.
  3. Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    did somebody say racks? :D
  4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
  5. Most of the questions have been covered except this one:

How much does an empty rack weigh?

I dont know actual numbers, it varies from case to case. But an empty rack unit is fairly light. I made my own out of plywood, carpet and all the flashy locks etc. With no amps etc i can walk around with it held by two fingers. These modern "molded" ones are even lighter. Its the power amp that weighs the most.

6. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Most rack cases I've seen (SKB, Calzone) have the same type of cover and closures on both front and back and they are lockable. SKB Roto-Cases don't have a full cover on the back. They have a flat plastic panel that fastens by turning little plastic knobs (thus the term "Roto"). The Roto Cases are definitely not as heavy duty as the standard SKB or Calzone cases and not as secure if you travel a lot with your rig.

I have a 4 place Roto Case and a 6 place Roto Case. Before you get a 12 place, you may want to think about how much it weighs full. My six place is a back breaker when it's full. I can't imagine an 8, 10, or 12 fully loaded. And I'm no wuss. I sling around a 13 pound bass and bench press in the mid 200's.

Here's my 4 place. The weight on this is comfortable.
  7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    malthumb makes a very good point about the weight issue.
  8. Hi Malthumb

I was just wondering how do you process your signal in that rack ? I see 2 preamps ? the SM500 and FX1 and two outputs from the power supply. So how is the signal routed and/or split ?

9. The only bad thing I can think of about Roto or Rollex racks is they don't have rear rails. If you put a heavy component (like a power amp) in them you'll bend the front rails of the rack or the faceplate of the power amp if you're not real careful.

I have a 4-space Rollex rack that'd be just great for effects - but when I got my new power amp I bought a 6-space Gator rack from MF (I think it was $105) and have been pretty happy with it.
  10. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hey guys, thanks for all the answers. I think after hearing Allan talk about the rails vs. no rails, I'm going to get the more expensive rack.

You bring up a good point about the weight Mal, that's why I asked how much one weights empty. I don't want to haul around a head that weights more than my cabinet.

Thanks for all the info guys.
  11. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I'd feel better about that comment if I were a woman.;)

Jane, uh I mean James
  12. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

Actually I'm still experimenting with how I want to use the stereo capability of my Alembic basses. On an ambitious day I run the bass side of the power supply to the SM500 preamp. Sometimes straight, sometimes through an Alesis Quadraverb 2. I tend to run the treble side through the F1-X and an Alembic SF-2 Superfilter, then through the SM500. I send each side to separate SWR Triads.

USUALLY I use the SM500 just as a power amp and run both sides through the F1-X/SF-2/Q2 set-up and run it all to one Triad. The pick is of my 4 place rack. Now I tend to use all the stuff you see in the pic plus the Q2 and the SF-2 in a 6 place rack.

13. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I second the vote for

They are cheap, deep, and they have both front and rear rails.
  14. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I have an SKB 6-space rack mount.. its not a roto..
    Its a full rack..
    furman power condition
    SWR IOD preamp
    Korg power tuner
    Carvin DCM1500

it is built pretty solid.... but it is front end heavy...

I have been thinking about switching my power amp to the backside of the rack to try and balance the weight.. but its not really a problem.. i don't hold my rack for long periods of time anyway...