Some rackmount rig ponderings...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Euphony Penguin, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Euphony Penguin

Euphony Penguin

Aug 15, 2005
    Hi everybody.. this is my first post on this site... so i'd just like to say hi first of all... But down to business, come October I'd like to upgrade my bass rig from the Gallien Kruger 280w Head I use now to a tour ready rack that can power my Ampeg Classic 8x10", as well as my Ampeg Classic 4x10" simultainiously at times. So... I've done my asking around, trips to Guitar Center, internet browsing and I've got a guess on what I'd like to get, and I'm hoping you folks can help me out.

So for Power the QSC RMX1450 caught my eye .. it can run in mono bridge mode to power the 8x10" .. but then i can kick it into stereo mode to run the 8x10" and 4x10" from what I gather. Other products like SWR 750 Power Amp had me during the begining of my search due to it's simplicity but it seems like something like the QSC would out live it and out preform it for almost $400 less.

Preamp wise I'm really really interested in the new Line 6 Bass Podxt Live Pedal because from the sounds of it it can do everything a preamp can do short of some good equalization (including sex up the studio recordings :D ) . For EQ I was thinking something such as this DBX 31-band dohickey. Now I've heard alot of good things about Sonic Maximizers and if I've heard correctly they can do some great things, so I'd like to add in this BBE 482i model as well.

Also, the singer in my band also plays bass and will be selling or handing down his power conditioner and rack so I've got that solid.

Anyway, I hope I haven't been to bold to ask some help on this, I figure it's quite a bit of money to spend so i'd like to spend it as wisely as possible. Thanks for whatever input you guys can give me!! I could use it!!
  2. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    My experience w/the Line 6 (though the one I bought wasn't the floor model) is that it sounds great for recording... I didn't like the sound as a preamp for my live rig. I wound up returning it. In the live rig it sounds decidedly "digital" and cold. just my experience... you may love it.
  3. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Sounds great, though you might want to think about the Pod XT Pro. Its rackmount so everything will in one place and it apparantly solves some minor latency issues when changing patches. Also got a six-band semi-parametric eq, which should be more than enough on that side of things. Downside is that you need a seperate floorboard to control it (but if youve got a large rack and two big cabs, whats an extra board?), the upshot of that is that said board can do anything on the Pod, making it easy to change patches mid-song etc.

Welcome to TB. :)
  4. If i were you I'd have a good think about the line 6 preamp... it really isn't right for most people. it might be perfect for your needs but alot of people who start thinking about a rack rig start out with the pod in mind and often wind up disapointed. for a lot less you can get some killer sounding preamps, ok they don't do the massive variety of the pod but what they do they do well and with simple easy on the fly control.

just something to consider... if you're interested BBE make a couple of highly regarded bass preamps as do tech 21, swr, fender... there are loads out there you might wanna consider!

good choice on the QSC loads of people on here hold them in very high regard!

and i agree that 31 band EQ's are way to much for a bass rig, they are for your sound guy! a semi parametric would do fine or if your like me and like graffics between 7 and 12 bands is plenty as long as it's voiced for bass!
  5. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Some more good points. Like I said, if youre getting a Pod, get the Bass Pod XT Pro, but are you sure youre getting a Pod? ;)
  6. U could always try the Behringer :eek: v-amp - they're cheaper, and a few people on here have said they're easier to use than the pod (I've got a pod, nice - never tried the behringer...) - also quite a few people on here (again, I'm not one of them) like the Sansamp bass Driver which is supposed to be better than the pod...
  7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I just moved from a Demeter and Crown setup to GK 1001 rack mount head. 480 into 8, 700 in to 4. Realistically that will cover a pretty large room. I play in an environment where I do not need ear protection while playing by the way ...

Personally - I've had it with 80 to 90 lb racks...

I have a Johnson J-Station modeller that I use in my project studio. works great there. My experience with PODs, and the J station is that they are way too fussy for live use and they don't seem to convey any sense of punch. They do record well and offer a bunch of options that are useful in a scratch pad kind of way. Basically get a tone quickly and let it settle into the track. If there is time later, I'll go back and re-track it with an mic'd amp and a direct line. I wouldn't bother with one for live use. That's me though. YMMV

For the most part I need 1 'large' and full sound with 1 or a couple of relatively small tonality changes available to me. So I can use the blend control on the bass or an eq pedal (Trace Elliot in my case). As far as effects go, Line 6 FM4 is about it at the moment. Pretty simple and light weight setup, covers a lot of ground.
  8. Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    My experience with the POD is that I kept going back to the tube preamp setting, which is the patch most closely approximated to my trusty Alembic F-1X - I just couldn't find many patches that would really come in truly handy on a live gig. The last thing you want to have to worry about in a potentially dark, noisy and high-pressure gigging situation is a complicated interface (compared to most preamps) with any knobs and buttons that can get in the way of actually "playing." For studio use where subtle tonal changes are going to make a noticeable impact, I say go for it, but live, my experience has been to focus on delivering a consistently nice, clean and punchy sound.

9. Euphony Penguin

Euphony Penguin

Aug 15, 2005
    Thank you for the input fellas.. and the welcome. And wow, I never realized that the V-Amp had so many features. For some reason when I think Behringer I think low end, but that V-Amp Pro looks sweet, I'm definatley liking the stuff i see in the product manuel, .... that capability to loop your signal and play around it makes me just smile. So that definatley takes down the price of my venture, I guess no need for a seperate EQ either good deal. I guess I was mostly drawn to the Pod due to marketing ploys on the Musician's Friend and Line 6 camps, on the Line 6 website that theme for the bass xt pedal that they play on the flash video is awesome, i learned that first jazzy part $.

So far I'm looking at this for my rig:
    QSC RMX 1450 Power Amp
    Behringer V-Amp Pro Preamp
    BBE Sonic Maximizer
    Random Power Conditioner

If anyone has anything else to add, please do so! I'd be your friend forever.

Also, Jack nice Ibanez I use the 5 string version :).
  10. Euphony Penguin

Euphony Penguin

Aug 15, 2005
    About that V-Amp pro preamp... have you guys seen any pedals or anything to use with it for live switching? I searching and finding nothing.
  11. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Heh, thanks very much, but I sold it a while back. I likekd that bass. Thankfully, went to an aged jazz man, and not some teen punker (like myself :rolleyes: ) that may treat it badly. :D

As a newbie, youve thankfully missed out on the Behringer threads, run a search and know what youre getting into before buying anything. ;)
  12. softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    you might want to look into the bbe bmax or bmax-t. they are preamps with built in sonic maximizers. i dont have any expirience with one but i know people around here can tell you about em, or do a search. look and listen at for some ideas of different preamps.
    also i think theres nothing bettre than going to a shop and playing it all personally. i know theres tons and tons of stuff hard to find at shops to play, and it would be sinful to pass these up, but i think youll find that trying to search soley on this forum for an amp, your gonna end up with 923489023489234 different ideas, and be completely lost. and THAT i know from expirience :p

just me $.02 but hey, what do i know
  13. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Will you really ever NEED to use both the 8X10 and the 4X10. Are you playing stadiums?

Really think about what YOU NEED, not what everyone else has, what your favorite player has, what people on TB have, etc. While these are great places to start, it should just be a start. You need to try as much gear as you can. In some cases it's difficult. Not everyone has access to everything. Even so, do what you can.

You also need to decide what you have to spend, what kind of venues you will be playing, and what kind of PA support you'll have.

I, too, have grown to dislike heavy racks. I used to have an 8 space rack, 2X10 and 4X10 cabs, and about 5 basses that changed every month or so. I really sat down and looked at my gigs, venues and PA situation. For me, the solution was an Eden WT-550 head and a Bergantino HT112 cab. In the venues I play, This is all I need. I do use a PA at a couple places, but only as "presence". I could get by without it. This little rig sounds great and is pertty loud. Great solution for me.

Maybe you really need a big amp and an 8X10 cab. If you do, then that's what you should get. I guess I'm saying don't try to "keep up" with other people if that's not what you need. Buy what sounds good to you and will fit YOUR situation. Everyone is different. No right or wrong.
  14. Euphony Penguin

Euphony Penguin

Aug 15, 2005
    Depending on situation I probably wouldnt be using the full out 8x10 + 4x10 + 1x15 set up I have in mind often at all (big outdoor theatre opening out here soon though :p ). Probably the 4x10 + 1x15 at practice, then the 8x10 at local small gigs. I'm just coming in contact with the most amount of money I will ever probably have at once in Oct. soo I'd like to just go out and get the best and most capable thing I will need for a long long time. Thanks Steve for the words of wisdom :). Also that site is a good find, thanks for that too! When it starts getting more toward oct. i'll probably be making regular stops at the local guitar center to test drive everything anyway, I just want to know as much as I can before that so the salesman doesnt sell me a horse with 2 legs.
  15. shanmag

Jul 27, 2005
    sorry to hijack but just a quick question

what exactly does a power conditioner do? i think i mite have a vague idea but im not sure if its correct

does it kinda act like ...... "protection" against short increases in voltages haha i duno im not a electronics person as u may be able to tell
  16. Euphony Penguin

Euphony Penguin

Aug 15, 2005
    From what I understand and have been told, yes.