Some random Bassists and some random sounds? How do ya get em?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FearOfGodX, Nov 11, 2001.

1. FearOfGodX

Nov 8, 2001
    I am just curious about this, I am newbie and all, but I am just tooling around with all sorts of tabs, just having fun. I run into trouble with some artists...for example Tool. I know they play in Drop D, but they have such an unusual sound in some songs like Opiate and Schism...what do they change? Like what should the EQ be set at, with regard to Bass/Mid/Treb?

Korn - Fieldy tunes down to A? But how the hell does he get that clicky thing going?

Staind - Still haven't gotten this right.

Linkin Park - I have NO CLUE what they play, everyone tells me something different, you guys seem like the the dude playing a 4 or 5? What tuning? What does he use on One Step Closer? Why is the sky blue, do these pants make me look fat?

Thanks for any help you can gimme, I am trapped in my house after having 4 teeth pulled, and bored out of my mind. I am new, so the simple you can explain this to me, the better. Like just tell me what to set the **** on my Bass to, and what to set the EQ on my amp to. Adios Bass dudes.
  2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

I'm sure that no jokes will come of this :rolleyes: :D :D :D

If you really want to click, lower your action and play hard...but ask yourself why.
  3. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Fieldy gets the clicky sound by only miking the horns on his cabs. The guy from Linkin Park uses a 4 or 5 string Stingray, depending on the song.
  4. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    in supplement.. fieldy boosts ultra lows and ultra highs and cuts everythign else... so his EQ looks like this -______- i don't know what brand he uses, but i think its ampeg..

linkin park guy uses solely SWR amps and cabs... the exact ones are on the website... the SWR one that is.. i'd use solely their stuff if they gave it to me for free too... i bet they even pay him...

that's all i know.. hope i could help..
  5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    This is not a technique issue, so I'll move you along to Miscellaneous. Buh-bye.
  6. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    justin chancellor from Tool uses a pick which accounts for the bright sounds. Justin uses a wal bass.

paul deamour from Tool during opiate "era" used a stingray(i think) also picked. The treble seems to really high in opiate.
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Gee, thanks a lot. :p
  8. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I'm pretty sure it was Justin Chancellor who used to play a Stingray before switching to Wal. I think the previous tool bassist played a Rickenbacker.
  9. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    ....and then go cry, by yourself.

10. leper

Jun 21, 2001
    i remember reading in bass player that chancellor always played wals...he used to play a guitar but bought the bass and amp just so he couild try out for tool.
  11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I dont belive leper. i could be wrong. but i dont think so. He might have played guitar BEFORE. but "just to try out for tool"?........hmmm....He (Justin) uses ALOT of midrange, alot of it around the 1k (or somthing like that, i cant remember) or around that. play with a pick, get a wal, get about 50 boss effects. and BLAMO! Your justin chancellor from tool.....(well not really.)
  12. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    when my band plays tool songs, the scooped eq with a little more highs added works fine, and sounds similar, boosting mids didnt ...
  13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Not all midrange, just a few points of it. Like when we cover tool songs, i use a flat EQ and boost the 40 just a TINY TINY BIT, and and alot around the 1k or something like that, id have to go check, and that sound great. but the FACT is, justin uses so much mids its not funny. sounds awesome though.
  14. Nikehawk

Nikehawk Guest

Jul 29, 2001
    Yorkville, IL, USA
    I'm pretty sure Justin Chancellor played bass for a band called Peach (out of England?), and I think when Tool toured there, Peach opened for them. If you've ever listened to Peach's music, you'd know why they picked Justin when Paul left...
  15. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah, Thats what toolshed says , about the name of the band , i think. And your right. listen to em. they were pretty good..
  16. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Last time I heard, Fieldy used a couple Mesa Basis M-2000 amps and 4 Mesa 4x10s (He added he wanted to make it 4 6x10s).

Uh, anybody got any KoRn tabs?:D